R930 - staysail set-up, specs, tips, - worth it?

splat

Hi Team

I'm pretty sure No Worries and Pepe can run an inner jib inside gennaker or code sails if they wish.

Questions are as follows:

What is optimum foot length?

Sheeting detail?

Deck intersection detail, strengthening? Rope eye?

Do's and don'ts?

Any other relevant tips and tricks

Cheers

I'm not familiar with those particular boats, but I always thought the Ross 930 standard self tacker was fairly small, i.e. short J, big main boats. If you run one of the turbo'ed 930's with a comedy long prod, the set out would probably work nicely to have the gennaker on the prod and a gennaker staysail on the normal forestay.

Certainly if you have runners (on the right spot on the mast) you can run an inner forestay easily, and with the advent of free luff furlers, or fixed luff flexible furlers, its wouldn't be hard to run a staysail without a stay, just a halyard and a strong deck fitting. You can also get into some silly-ness by moving the tack either side of the centreline, if you thought there was some advantage in that. Certainly a lot of the pro boats run gennaker staysails on stay-less furlers now. Obviously budget has a fair bit to do with forking out for a purpose cut sail and the furling gear. In the right wind range and wind angle, it can certainly give a nice little speed boost. A Coastal Classic with a 'classic' West to SW would be a good example perhaps...

We used a staysail to great effect on pepe in the RNI. Used inside the reaching sails only. Often we would have the fractional code zero and staysail set with 1 or 2 reefs in the main. Certainly the first sail reduction was always the main when we were reaching.

We had a little stormish jib that I always wanted to rig off a fitting at the aft face of the anchor locker but never got round to it. I felt it would've been handy to be able to chuck up when the fractional genny was a little underpowered bu not enough to fly the masthead stuff.

I see a fully fledged just in case being fitted this week ;)

In case what?

In case you need somewhere to tie down your house xmas decorations in a few months?

In case you need to tie the dog up to something?

• Upvote 2

Hmmmm..... I do have a anchor locker whose aft bulkhead has been grunted for collision purposes. I also have lots of stringy bits sticking out of my deck....plus pile of spares.

I see a fully fledged just in case being fitted this week ;)

Pictures of attachment detail as proof KM and to silence the general horde!