Another building thread

very true Clipper - kind of like knowing where to stop when doing paint touch-ups. If you don't know where to draw the line you will invariably end up repainting the whole boat which was not the intention...

The green is expensive, I use the cheapo brown from Placemakers and spend ages scraping it off - remember - therapy.

An interesting form of therapy. Personally I can think of better but each to their own :D

The green 3M masking tape looks cheap enough when you look on US based sites. Why is it so expensive in NZ?

http://www.levineautoparts.com/3m34greenmas.html

The other thing I am really enjoying is learning new stuff, probably a lot of which some of you would take for granted.

OK - question for the other home builders out there - how for would you go in making a non visible area look pretty?

OK - question for the other home builders out there - how for would you go in making a non visible area look pretty?

Strong enough, Sealed enough, cover it up. In other words, not at all.

I prefer to have something that looks pretty working on the non-visible area.

3.JPG

how for would you go in making a non visible area look pretty?

Depends on what you call pretty I guess. Some peoples pretty is not others. One guy I worked with when I was tutoring, spent two complete days fitting a door lock to a Classroom door. It was perfect and precise. In fact a little too precise because on wet days, it tends to get a bit stiff when the timber swells a bit. To me, that is just plain stupid over the top pedantic. No one ever see's the hole. But I remember seeing an American made boat many year ago and was told to put my hand up under the coming. There was lose glass under there not resined in. That spoke volumes to me about details in boat biulding. You don't have to go over the top, but "properly made" is all about what you don't see as much as what you do see.

non visible areas - as an apprentice we were given the example of the builder in the USA getting sued because the owner got a blooded finger while reaching into a locker.

So edges we lightly sanded and no glue daggs were left. The glue part can be as simple as a finger cove or rag wipe up to all sorts of sanding etc. If you have a sealed area like squid will with mose likely an inspection port, as long as you wont get blooded buy whats there it will be fine.

ps always try to make the possible seen faces the cleanest, it will help when you got to sell it and joe bloggs brings his tourch

Excellent. I'm about half way there, I wipe them with a rag, but sometimes I get glue all over the rag and it spreads.

One thing I have found is there is a point at which you ust walk away, if you keep puttering with it, it just seems to get worse.

ya dont use the rag screwed up in a ball squid. coat ya finger with it and keep it semi accurate.use it, fold it. do the next part and fold it over again...keeps the glue n crap contained. also dont skimp on the rags. sure theres plenty of sheets in the linnen cupboard. hack up the one from when ya shat ya self in bed :silent:

bit of 40 grit is good to just knock rough stuff back, glass dags and what not. peel ply also good for keeping it all smoothe.

being a cabinet maker i dont make a mess. everythings mint

But what ever you do, never be tempted to use your bare fingers. If you rip a glove, replace it.And NEVER use thinners to wipe off resin from your skin. Found all that out the hard way.

Was very ill for many years and now am quite sensitive to many things. No not the new age guy type sensitive

i use a powerade bottle as a drink bottle sometimes. dont let some idiot fill a matching bottle with thinners, acetone or any of that nasty stuff. bastard had his on my work bench once. does not taste good at all even if you spit it out straight away. i got him a solvent container with hazzard stickers on it after that ear bashing i gave him.

Did you swallow??

No seriously, that kind of thing isn't funny at all. A guy died here in Blenheim about 10 or so years back now. He had this habit of allowing his coffee to go cold and then just sculling it before going back to work. This particular day, a Cup of Paraquat was in a similar cup and apparently he grabbed the wrong cup and sculled it before he knew what it was. They rushed him the Emergency and pumped his stumoch. He seemed OK, but awoke the next morning not being able to see. They rushed him back to emergency anb the hospital got the chopper across and they were flying him back to Wellington when he died.

had about 5ml in my mouth before spitting it out faster than a bullet leaves a gun. rinsed mouth out with hose with my throat closed, brushed teeth for about 15 minutes after the rinse. still left a nasty after taste for a little while. i dont think it messed me up too much and last time at the dentist he said my teeth were fine (first time in 6 years). all the warnings on the can focused more on when it gets to ya stomach or in ya eyes, use in ventilated areas with mask n goggles and all that stuff.

On smoothing glue or sealant - my neighbour is a plumber and told me to use an old credit card and use that, gives a very nice finish on sealant.

I did that, got a credit card (the wife's card) and used it to smooth off the sealant in the new bathroom - he was right a nice smooth uniform finish and no fiddling around to get it looking good.

Have also used one on glue, still need a rag to clean the card off often but you end up with a very clean finish, can even shape the card to suit the angle / profile you want :thumbup:

Hey Dr. W. What's happened with your skiff??

It's coming along, but slowly - we had an issue with timber supply so missed this summer for launching. Early next spring is the estimate at the moment. But enough of my build. Onwards with Squidly's - this is his thread after all.

New photos? Any progress?

Still fitting the bottom plank, shoul be done in about a day if I can get a day off. ALso need to buy one more sheet of 6mm ply and one of 4mm ply. The materials list didn't include allowance for cock ups.

Archived