Westhaven v Halfmoon Bay Marina

Fellas,

So, such is my distaste for Panuku, I am thinking of putting my money where my mouth is, and keep my soon to be re-launched yacht at Half Moon Bay instead of Westhaven.  10.5m berth rates are about the same per month for each marina, give or take.

So putting aside the PHF (Panuku Hate Factor) what are the advantages / disadvantages of each marina for getting out for a decent sail any particular weekend? 

I have never sailed out of HMB or Tamaki, but it appears to me looking at the chart that when coming out of HMB past Bucks,  I will eventually need to do a dog leg to port , then starboard before passing Browns Island to starboard into deeper water, (reverse when coming home) whereas coming out of Westhaven there are no such worries. (My draft is 1.4m).  [There looks to be a shortcut through to going past Browns that the Ferry uses - but I am not sure I should be using that shortcut until I get a bit of experience coming in or out of the Tamaki and getting used to the tides in this area....]

However, Westhaven I presume will just be busier with a higher idiot factor of people using that stretch of water.....more ferries, more powerboats, more freighters, more jetskis...more of all that stuff which can go 'crunchy crunch' against your hull.

Six of one half dozen of the other?  Be keen to hear the experienced CrewDotOrgers opinions....

at 1.4m I would not worry about getting in and out or Halfmoon bay, except on the very low tides if you want to go between Music Pt and Browns island.  We get through on a .6 at 1.8m so you should be good down to a .2.  It is well marked and has you pointing at the islands in no time.  Going the long way round when you need to you wont have any issues at that depth.

The only issue using the Musik Pt channel is that the  launches have no regard for 5knts rule,go through anytime except 1hr before/after spring/king low,as above if the rock shows by the pole marginal,when in/or out on low tides keep 100/200metres away from poles and you find its soft mud,any closer and its a shell bank.Spent an hour there once grinding the shells and not one A hole slowed down,if in doubt follow the ferry track.

Actually why is that northerly cardinal mark have a green light then?

That doesn't make sense...or have I lost the plot.

Green to port as your leaving Harbour, but the Cardinal mark means you would want that cardinal mark to starboard leaving.

So why is it marked Green?

your second route is the one that is commonly used and the one that I used to use at low tide. A chart with higher detail will show you.. Unfortunately I can't work out how to post a screen shot from mine :(

your second route is the one that is commonly used and the one that I used to use at low tide. A chart with higher detail will show you.. Unfortunately I can't work out how to post a screen shot from mine :(

Right.  IT says though that my second route is "a recipe for walking home"...

However, do I have it right that the one arrow mark with green light is saying you can pass to starboard or port when leaving harbour, but leaving it to starboard is is the  "preferred" passage.

Has to be.  Otherwise the chart is wrong.