Westhaven v Halfmoon Bay Marina

Hold on....even following IT suggestion to go between the two cardinal marks.........any way you cut it, this larger scale chart IT put here is telling me that if I have a 1.4m draft, then at springs low I could well go aground no matter what route I take..........there's 1.2m in places and 1.3m in places....

Guess I could always go the long way round on opposite side of river and never have to worry about it

Tamaki Strait.PNG

Hold on....even following IT suggestion to go between the two cardinal marks.........any way you cut it, this larger scale chart IT put here is telling me that if I have a 1.4m draft, then at springs low I could well go aground no matter what route I take..........there's 1.2m in places and 1.3m in places....

Guess I could always go the long way round on opposite side of river and never have to worry about it

:) Well seen a few boat crews there having a cuppa while waiting for the water to come back... But generally its all good albeit narrow...

Zozza,

Your second route is correct. DO NOT attempt the first at any tide - I have walked a fair distance between the two channels! To avoid confusion - in my screen shot - green route is okay - brown route is not. ( the north route is also okay but suggest you study it - in person!)

It’s far less scary when you are passing through than depicted on the charts - straight lining the Bouys is quite normal! The north channel is also quite easy to pass at mid to high tide but suggest you motor through it first to u derstmad the angles.

Spend a few hours observing this piece of water and you’ll fall in love with it!

4CC449F9-BA79-4FAD-BD95-B713FD626249.png

Zozza,

Your second route is correct. DO NOT attempt the first at any tide - I have walked a fair distance between the two channels! To avoid confusion - in my screen shot - green route is okay - brown route is not. ( the north route is also okay but suggest you study it - in person!)

It’s far less scary when you are passing through than depicted on the charts - straight lining the Bouys is quite normal! The north channel is also quite easy to pass at mid to high tide but suggest you motor through it first to u derstmad the angles.

Spend a few hours observing this piece of water and you’ll fall in love with it!

Scottie, mate, thanks heaps!

However, I just went back through my postings on this thread, and I swear IT said my second route was a recipe for walking home!?  But you are saying 2nd was correct.

Dissension in the ranks of CrewDotOrgers!

Thanks again Scottie - I will study this piece of water, and might even see if I can find a boat that goes out that way so that I can observe close up, before I go out in my own boat.

Scotti's route is correct. The cardinals are generally used by traffic transiting east / west, South of Browns Island, not entering the river.

The Sealink ferries will use the western channel and pass Browns Island to Starboard (when exiting) at certain low tides as there is generally a bit more water on that side.

Scotti's route is correct. The cardinals are generally used by traffic transiting east / west, South of Browns Island, not entering the river.

The Sealink ferries will use the western channel and pass Browns Island to Starboard (when exiting) at certain low tides as there is generally a bit more water on that side.

Thanks Dagwood.  Ok, so anything other than low springs, my 1.4m draft should be ok.

If you want to see how the chanel is marked and watch boats passing through take a walk up to Musick Point on Sunday afternoon and it will all become very clear.

Just ignore a surprising number of the fizzy's. There are some who have no clue and are saved by an extraordinary amount of dumb luck and a relatively shallow draft.

Spring low use St helliers entrance.watch if you can to see which way sea link goes.pine harbourferry goes between the cardinals but you must be dead centre.spring low you will touch.cav26 touched spring low or when rock showing

Another thing to consider is where you want to sail most often and the time to get there. Many years ago we shifted from Half Moon Bay to Pine Harbour even though HMB was only a few minutes down the road as the total time to get to the bottom end, Noisies, etc. was much better from Pine Harbour even including the drive out to PH. Think about where you want to sail most and how long the drive is if you want to duck down to the boat to do work on it.

• Upvote 1