Lead mine to multi

Hi team

I'm keen to look at switching over from keeler racing with a little cruising to multi cruising with a bit of racing. I'm boatless at the moment damn it.

I have a partner that loves sailing and 2-3 kids that like sailing but can take or leave it.

I have seriously only played on beach cats and have NO other multi experience.

Been considering Tennant Twisted Sisters as an option. Anyone know a history of this boat?

Any advice would be appreciated. Learning curve/suitability for racing, cruising suitability w/kids, short handed ease, is swing mooring in AKL safe for a cat this size (even Whaven piles seem pretty steep)

Where do you haul them? Okahu? 

What are the pitfalls and things to look out for when buying multis (apart from the normal boat stuff)?

Thanks

As much the challenge and out of curiosity and for variety. I have done quite a bit of sailing in mono dinghys and more recently owned a Ross 930. I do like going fast but want to be able to get the fam out as much as possible as well. As well as being boatless...that just sucks hehe. The ross was just covered in string as it had about 18 sails and it seems multis don't need the symmetrical gear and as many ropes. The creep to more events just being handicap also meant I feel like I can look at more sorts of options. less leaning. quite a bit really.

Nice looking Turismo with extended sterns. Twice the size of a 930. Cool. Your kids will enjoy it I am sure.

Be great to have it at Northcote Point and come out and join the Multifleet. Swing moorings are getting safer. Dwindling shitters out there that were prone to coming loose, taking out others. The Harbour master has also tightend up on the amount of weight required and chain. A lot cheaper than a marina.

You may need some coin for  sails, it does help having a range of good sails for up wind, down wind and reaching.

Can pull it up at little Shoal Bay or Okahu Bay. You can also beach easily in little shoal bay for a day when you replace the front tramp.

Ptown - I know quite a bit of history about TS. Peter Hustler and his wife have had her offshore, twice. Peter gave a great talk to the multi club about 10 years ago and i’ve got his slides somewhere still I think.

Ballistic was a whole heap of work when I bought her too - I’m probably the last egit to refurb a T in NZ. Things like that hole are minor, a full repaint, re canvas etc is where the big bucks will be neeeded, as well as somewhere to do the work - I reckon you’d want to have her out for a good 12 months. Your welcome to have a look at ours - currently out at Panmure.

Can also haul out at Panmure - TS might be a little tricker on club cradles though.

70647EC1-61A0-49A5-867C-CAB5C5A4E7FF.jpeg

7890519A-7A98-4B4A-9888-A4B22DE67E99.jpeg

Cheers guys

I am a bit of a sucker for a project. I'll try and go take a look.

Tazzy, sounds bad. did she even look capable of getting back to Akl under her own steam? or too dicey?

Ballistic looks fantastic. I'll pop down today and have a look. Not far from work.

• Upvote 1