Protecting the inexperienced

Your taxes aren't paying for their rescue, and why do you think they need rescuing? What part of the original posters description makes you think they need rescuing?

With all due respect, the OP didn't even know that cruising yachts need CAT 1 to leave NZ, casts some doubt as to any other assertions made about their competence or boat set up.

AND, under the current legislative arrangements, it is not possible for an un-sound boat or incompetent skipper / crew to depart NZ, so your arguement is fairly much null and void before you even started.

Just curious Kevin, have you sailed offshore?

As the originator of the OP...

As I have not contemplated taking my boat off shore, I don't know the ins and outs of the Cat 1 requirements.

If I planned to do so then I would make sure I devoured every bit of information I could. But until now I didn't need to know everything, but because of this incident I have though been forced into finding out more.

Im not entirely rabbit eared either - just not in my scope.

I do know, and have read the safety cats on the NZ Yachting site, and as this is an informative web page I use it to increase my knowledge of sailing and the debates, which I'm sure make us all better and more responsible sailors.

However I do believe that we need to look out for one another to avoid unnecessary incidents.   (Like the poor lost soul drifting up the East Coast despite being 'rescued' once)

Isn't looking out for and helping others at sea not part of good seamanship?

I am also a great believer in the free spirit, and adventure, but that comes with responsibilities. Just as you are free to drink alcohol but it is your responsibility to do so responsibly. You too should be free to adventure where you wish, climb mountains, swim oceans, but do so responsibly and not regard the rescue services as Plan B.

Unfortunately we cant always look away when we see something that looks to be heading in the wrong direction.

Much like that drink drive ad where the old dudes see Mary's boy... their fate becomes aligned... and their balls are now in my hands... etc. etc.

By witnessing you become involved. And by reading this thread we are by default all involved. Should something go wrong we will all need to dig deeply and introspectively interrogate ourselves.

My apologies for that.

In a previous life I met a tour operator leading 4x4 safaris through the Namib for the rich in their Pajeros etc. He had a 2 wheel drive Ford UTE with 4 reserve batteries, wide tyres, a hand operated pump; hand operated winches front and back, and  2 spade anchors. He had everything he needed to run the tours, never got stuck and on occasion had to bring back the owners of the flash 4x4 with their electronic ignitions, and electrickery that crapped out in the desert dust with no mechanic within 200km to help.

So too with sailing.

You don't need hair dryers and all the flash equipment to sail oceans, and I'm all for that. But you need to prepare well, know your limits, and be confident of your abilities.

Therefore, if, in your experience, you see someone about to depart in an obviously inadequately prepared boat (Not a long keeler and yes I know about sheet to tiller steering and have used it - but I have my doubts in anything over Force 4, and I do know when best to leave for the Islands) Then yes, as a witness I am, and always will be concerned.

But thanks for all the feedback, I have learned a great deal from this debate.  

I suspect that if they are on their way they passed Cat 1 and I do wish them well as they wave to all the boats heading this way.

• Upvote 1

How many search and rescue operations do our airforce/navy undertake each year??

How private NZ registered vessels leave NZ each year??

Be interested to know what the ratio is between those venturing offshore requiring assistance compared to those who potter around the gulf or venture around NZ.

2017 coastguard brought 6797 people home safely.

Has seamanship, and self reliance diminished since the establishment of the Coastguard?

Every weekend there are calls after calls from boaties requiring a tow back due to flat batteries, no fuel etc.

Just call the AA rather than a little forward planning and checks.

Off shore sailors are certainly better prepared and equipped (in most cases anyway)

I will continue to be a loyal supporter of the Coastguard.

• Upvote 1

I have twice had people complain or raise concerns about a yacht or it’s crew in my capacity as a harbourmaster. In both cases a quick trip down to the yacht and a chat and cup of tea with the yacht crew and no follow up required. In. Both case they were reasonable people who had thought through what they were doing and just chose to do things differently to others.

We have to understand others right to do something different to us.

• Upvote 1