Solar panel doesn’t appear to be charging.

Hi All,

Another question from me - I have a solar panel that runs through a controller to the battery. It was working fine after installation earlier this year, but now it’s not. Today it was showing on the controller as the panel producing between 10 - 12volt, but no amps going into the battery. A volt metre confirmed the voltage - but I can’t figure out why it isn’t charging the battery.

10-12 volts wont charge the battery. Matt will probably chime in with a more detailed answer but if it was me I would disconnect the panel from the controller and check the voltage there to eliminate the controller as a possible cause. I Would expect more voltage than  that. 

Thanks. It’s an mppt controller. Disconnected from the controller and direct to the multi metre it was still only showing fluctuating between 10 - 12 volts. Do you think the panel is knackered - it wasn’t shaded....

Its certainly difficult to find decent flexible panels at this time, lots of cheap crap out there. I've been caught as well. Currently I'm trying the juice panels. We'll see..

Solbian seem the best, but are a horrendous price here.

Check your warranties carefully. Some are short (1 yr) some longer 5,10 or even 20 yrs, but only on the individual cells. These warranties are a waste of time - its the top covers (PET or whatever) that fails, but its not covered!

I don't recommend anything at this time.

I originally had 2 unisolar panels out of the US. Lasted over 10 years. So good flexible solar can be done.

You need an amp meter and short out the panel's terminals to see if they are still up to scratch. I use a clamp meter which are great, works on AC and DC. Simply clamp one conductor then short them out. I agree about flex panels, got two off smart marine and after 2 years they went milky colour. Rang smart marine and I kid you not, the guy asked "you didn't leave them out in the sun did you"......????

Flexibles seem to be ok if you flex them ONCE... Slightly... and glue them down. Mine were fully mobile and just bungeed/laid wherever they'd fit on a day by day basis while cruising. they'd get wind under them and flap etc, eventually the joiners between cells would fail and that would be it. The problem is a solid 100w panel on an 8.3 meter sports yacht is a big, ungainly piece of meccano indeed and I'm not fitting a bimini  :roll:

Its certainly difficult to find decent flexible panels at this time, lots of cheap crap out there. I've been caught as well. Currently I'm trying the juice panels. We'll see..

Solbian seem the best, but are a horrendous price here.

Check your warranties carefully. Some are short (1 yr) some longer 5,10 or even 20 yrs, but only on the individual cells. These warranties are a waste of time - its the top covers (PET or whatever) that fails, but its not covered!

I don't recommend anything at this time.

I originally had 2 unisolar panels out of the US. Lasted over 10 years. So good flexible solar can be done.

Any experience with Goflex, Matt?  I got three of them that I am soon to lay down on my cabin top. I considered the Juice brand from Enertec, but they don't come in the smaller foot print I need.  I am, however, going to buy a pair of Juice AGM's off Enertec.

They(the Goflex)  appear well made, though they are of Chinese origin.  I would prefer Solbian, but my God you would almost need to win Lotto to afford them,

Nah, havn't had anything to do with Goflex at this stage. I can offer an alternative price for quality AGM's or VRLA if you want?

Not quite ready to buy agm's yet.  But may hit you up when I am. Cheers

Hmmm. At 16 from the panel the controller was showing 10 - 12, and 0 amps. Anyway I’ve taken it back and am now looking for another panel. Burnsco no longer stock the same panel type and the replacement won’t fit on the eyelits on the dodger. Too wide.

Who stocks the magic GoFlex?

OK, an update on my Juice panels. They have failed. The edges had delaminated in quite a few spots, and output down by over 1/2. The edges had become uneven - wavy.

Now, if you recall (see post further up), they were velcro'd to the bimini. All around, with 50mm velcro. Despite being only about a year old, Enertec have refused warranty replacement. They say the failure is due to the mounting system (velcro) being all around, and too much movement in the heat by the velcro. I pointed out to them that;

1. This is a common mounting system
  2. The old Unisolar panels were mounted like this for over 10 years with no issues
  3. They did not say anything about this when I told them they would be mounted this way.
  4. I've bought quite a few of these for my customers, and referred others.

No change, no warranty replacement, just a discount off new ones (a bit less than trade price).

I'm less than happy with that, and will no longer recommend these panels to anyone.

However, due to space/shape/fitment ease, I have paid for the replacements (now 145w in the same dimensions as the older 135w), and velcro'd them down with approx 100mm sections, leaving 20mm gaps, all around the panel. This was the recommended method (this time) by Enertec.  

Enertec supplied these 2 infra-red images of the panels;

Solar heat.jpg

Solar heat 2.jpg

These are supposed to show how the edges were damaged by the velcro. 

Here is a pic of the velcro on the new panels;

20191111_170837.jpg

Be warned, and if you have solar panels mounted with velcro, inspect the edges for deformity. If there is any movement at all, it might pay to modify the mounts. Maybe.