Route du Rhum

"Alex Thomson Racing is currently managing a developing incident, which occurred during La Route du Rhum: Destination Guadeloupe. Today between 21:45 and 22:00 AST Alex Thomson’s IMOCA 60 race boat grounded on Guadeloupe island. Skipper Thomson is safe, uninjured and in no danger. Structural checks are ongoing. The situation is being closely reviewed and monitored by the technical and management teams at Alex Thomson Racing, who are in contact with Thomson, together with the Route du Rhum race organisation. Thomson is continuing to race onboard HUGO BOSS and intends to complete the race."

3umf6KD.png

Alex Thompson, what a class act.

Given a 24 hr penalty for using his engine to get off the rocks which will drop him multiple places after leading all the way and blitzing the fleet says: “It’s a real shame for me and the team to be in the position that we are in,” said Thomson who has been third and second in consecutive Vendée Globe solo round-the-world races. “The jury has decided that I have a 24-hour penalty which will mean I will not win the race. How do I feel about that? Well I think that is very fair because I don’t think I should win the race after hitting Guadeloupe.” This was greeted with spontaneous applause from his audience.

And:

Brandishing a piece of rock that he must have found inside the boat which he said would be a souvenir of his collision with Grande Terre, Thomson explained that he had gone to sleep knowing he would soon come close to a gybe point off the coast. However a wristwatch that he wears that is designed to give him an electric shock to wake him, failed to go off because it was out of charge and he slept through the audio alarm.

I slept through – I didn’t hear it – and when I woke up the alarms were going and the boat was strange,” said Thomson. “I went up on deck and I could see Guadeloupe – I didn’t know it was Guadeloupe – I couldn’t understand what was happening until I looked at the chart and then I could see I was on Guadeloupe…haha...I had arrived!”

In his predicament and having to explain what happened Thomson could have been forgiven for struggling to keep his composure, but he did that and not only spoke fluently but saluted Meilhat who at that stage had about 150 miles to go on a boat that does not have foils.

“I hope Paul will win,” said Thomson, his voice momentarily cracking. “You know, he has done a really great race on a boat without foils and I look forward to welcoming him tomorrow. He should be the winner.

• Upvote 1

Oops... Alex Thomson sleeps through the alarms, then crunch! 

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12178032 

A British solo yachtsman sailor has lost a marathon race after sleeping through two alarms and crashing.

Good natured Alex Thomson was leading the 3500 nautical mile Route de Rhum transatlantic event by a massive 15 hours when his power nap went wrong and he ploughed into Guadeloupe in the Caribbean.

The 44-year-old prevented his monohull Hugo Boss from being wrecked by using his motor just 70 miles from the finish line. That led to a 24 hour penalty but he took it with remarkable grace.

The Gosport sailor, whose main goal is to win the glamorous Vendee Globe in 2020, said: "I'm going to keep a brave face, keep smiling, come back and do it all again.

ADVERTISEMENT

Advertise with NZME.
"I don't think I should win the race after hitting Guadeloupe... (it was) very frustrating, but it could have been worse. I have my boat and as you can see I'm all in one piece."

Thomson woke in the early hours to discover he had run aground on Rocky Cliffs, his comprehensive alarm system having failed.

He was sleeping in spells of 20 - 40 minutes every few hours and had one alarm clock rigged to a horn plus a watch which gave small electric shocks. He slept through the horn and the watch didn't work because it was not fully charged.

He was glad Frenchman Paul Meilhat won the race, held every four years.

Meilhat said: "Alex's mishap leaves us chilled because we were all attacking so hard, like mad things. When we put ourselves in situations of extreme fatigue mistakes can be expensive. I am just happy he is OK and the damage to his boat is not too bad.

"I'm a big fan of Alex...he's sailing incredible races with the choices he makes, his speed, his style and he's a great guy. He is the extraordinary character, whether he won or not."