Sea kayak

Guest 000

In my crazy youth a mate and i kayaked from fiordland to dunedin i think a rudder is a necessity,especially in a strong crosswind and will give you much longer surfs.paul caffin definitely rates them.Its also a safety issue if your getting blown offshore you cant muck around with steering strokes and for surf landing they are very helpfull,i bent mine sideways coming into st kilda just pulled it straight again big breaking surf too rough for the local surfers.If your just mucking round sheltered bays may not need one,they make paddling so much more enjoyable though imho

• Upvote 1

Yesterday I bought a Sissons Nordkapp in kevlar, a boat for which I have had a serious but unrequited love affair for many years. I will pick her up in a week or so and hopefully she will not disappoint.

Yesterday I bought a Sissons Nordkapp in kevlar, a boat for which I have had a serious but unrequited love affair for many years. I will pick her up in a week or so and hopefully she will not disappoint.

Great Boat! Sure you'll be happy :-)

Ive had 2 brilliant boats had one snap in half in a storm,not boats fault big dumpimg surf across Te Waiwai bay,about a mile offshore.They feel tender for a start but the rougher it gets the more the sharp v at bow and stern bite in.Boat only snapped as I had a super light hull and decks and had a compass recessed into deck in front of cockpit,it was a weak point,the two guys I was with both had rudders torn off and boats racked at cockpit at the same time.We did the trip the following year to Dunedin,now im older and wiser I wouldnt do it for a million bucks.

Ive had 2 brilliant boats had one snap in half in a storm,not boats fault big dumpimg surf across Te Waiwai bay,about a mile offshore.They feel tender for a start but the rougher it gets the more the sharp v at bow and stern bite in.Boat only snapped as I had a super light hull and decks and had a compass recessed into deck in front of cockpit,it was a weak point,the two guys I was with both had rudders torn off and boats racked at cockpit at the same time.We did the trip the following year to Dunedin,now im older and wiser I wouldnt do it for a million bucks.

Maybe you wouldn't do it again, but what a voyage!

And reading between the lines the fact that you successfully completed a paddle from Fiordland to Dunedin speaks volumes about your kayaking experience.

I couldn't do it, and I admire you for it.