Floating Footpaths

Concrete yachts - if well constructed, have been around for a long while and pass the survey test - then what's wrong with buying one?

Is it just a (natural) prejudice? Concrete shouldn't float?

I get that probably none were built for speed, but for cruising the east coast NI and Hauraki Gulf they'd be fine?

I ask as they always seem to be cheep-ish on trade me.............compared to same era and length timber or plastic yachts

Thoughts?

I thought the issue was the predominance of home built jobs and the impossibility of telling which ones were a complete liability and which ones were bombproof.

That, and given the floor has fallen out of the used boat market in that type of age bracket, there are soo many options with less risk / better value for money. It looks like guys are starting to struggle to give away some boats at the moment.

I thought the issue was the predominance of home built jobs and the impossibility of telling which ones were a complete liability and which ones were bombproof.

That, and given the floor has fallen out of the used boat market in that type of age bracket, there are soo many options with less risk / better value for money. It looks like guys are starting to struggle to give away some boats at the moment.

yeah someone's comment in another thread about 88s going for ~20 recently really brought home the reality of the current market.

yeah someone's comment in another thread about 88s going for ~20 recently really brought home the reality of the current market.

Not to mention the SR 26 going for dollar reserve (link from the classifieds), with a reasonable sail wardrobe and a few other nice bits. Looks basically looked after (note I haven't seen it and have no connection to it)

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1845004666&ed=true

Currently at $2,600....

Open viewing at HMB this Sat & Sun, closes Sun night. Someone will be getting on the water this summer for less than a new main costs on my boat.... grrrr

But (dare I say it) Native may be right. Well looked after boats do seem to still sell for not too bad prices (not moonbeams, but you don't have to give them away).