Hacking the Gofree

Not sure Lat. It's designed to connect via wifi to a TCPIP server so will update software via the internet. Not sure if you can "surf" the net via a wifi smart phone. Should be possible using the gofree ip address. The plan is to convert the USB 2 output from our AIS to Ethernet. Can already see ais targets on the mfd and tablet via the gofree on wifi but when power is an issue, being able to just use the gofree would be great. Trouble will be getting the ethernet plugs that go into the gofree. I am sure they are proprietary to Navico. They were talking about extending the usefulness of the gofree but that was years ago and not a word since.

Nope, The Gofree is Either an access point OR a client - so it can connect to the internet and update items on the bus, or it can provide wifi to the boat so portable devices can share the data. If you want both, I'd suggest either a cellular router, or a Ubiquiti Bullet to provide wifi connection to the internet, and plug that into the gofree ethernet port. Then you have both. This is what I have on IT...

Repeating data is what I am chasing Matt. It's a gateway to the mfd using "link", works well. What I was hoping to do was use the 2nd port to repeat AIS data from a USB source. I figure thats a long shot? (Anyone know a recipe for hammerhead shark? ...just caught one)

Yep, what I thought. Cheaper to get a cheap router but then there is the host software and I doubt anything is available. Digital Yacht has two apps that supposedly work with the usb port on the ait2000 using a otg conection but failed on my Samsung tablet. Thanks for the advice. Time to give up.

You motivated me to sort it. Thanks!

iPhone connected straight up in both modes. My android will only do client and sometimes access. Geez!

Dunno about what you are trying.

I have an NGT-1 which is usb to N2k which would put the AIS on the N2K network an thus to Simrad? Your welcome to try bit have to post it to you. Too heady for me.

Yep, thats pretty simple. If you patch the NGT to the AIS version, (on a laptop) then its a simple plug and play...

Thread drift. Does anyone bother downloading PW gribs to mfd? Seems a bit naff if you have a laptop. Redundancy?

Looking for kis system. Iridium go looks better all the time. PAy when you need.

Can, but dont. I use them on the laptop - the screen is much bigger and its easier. But on a big (12" plus) MFD it works well .