mcp

NRC on fan worm

They dived on the boats up here at the town basin this week. Will wait to see what they say but will be interesting to see what they do about all the marina structure. Will they put it in the too hard basket like Marsden cove??

Interesting article on the stuff website about biofouling and commercial shipping. 

I personally think it is stupid that individual regional councils set the rules locally, rather than a nationwide directive.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/111015084/biosecurity-threat-sees-dirtybottomed-boats-ordered-out-of-new-zealand-waters

That is a very insightful story. The sub story explains how all these marine pests got here in the first place, and the primary means of them getting from port to port.

Nothing to do with yachts.

Does give some insight into the costs of control...

sometime that happens because there is a lack of nationwide directive and at a local level "doing nothing" is not considered a reasonable option.  For anything in relation to ships, big or small, moving around the country its usually not a good approach.....

Interesting article on the stuff website about biofouling and commercial shipping. 

I personally think it is stupid that individual regional councils set the rules locally, rather than a nationwide directive.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/111015084/biosecurity-threat-sees-dirtybottomed-boats-ordered-out-of-new-zealand-waters

Interestingly with the recent departure of the leopard seal I went for my first westhaven swim in ages the other day.

I believe there is considerably less fan work in the area around my berth than when I last swum around my boat in the berth (summer 17/18). Not scientific and I don't have photos for a comparison, but it was over run before and now there are only a few. Not sure if Auckland now has something worse that has overgrown the fan worm or what.

Interested to see if anyone else here has noticed the same?

Really smart rules ! Give them 24 hours to leave after they have arrived .Duh. The bad things have already been delivered. Might have thought that the ship has to deliver a clean hull certificate to its next port before it leaves for NZ just like NZ yachts plying between marinas. Oh that's right the Regional Councils can only get at us through Marinas. Otherwise its the wild west with an occasional arrest by the Sherrif .