Jesse James - $1 reserve

12 minutes ago, Tamure said:

That all depends, if you have the budget to run a 40 foot race boat then why not? 

Realistically,  after assuming a  12m -14m marina berth p/y, engine maintenance p/y, rig maintenance p/y , bottom maintenance - haul outs p/y,  sail budget allocation p/y - safety gear, cat inspections etc it isn't going to be chump change. Assume a syndicate would be  good way to go but I know what it costs to run a 9m version that I cannot currently use  and have hardly used in the last 6 months and it isn't cheap... 

I have always owned in syndicates, (5 keel boats, 3 multis) for the last 30 years , and it suits my pocket well. Never been any issue with a) finding partners, b) keeping syndicate happy, c) changing boats . If I wasn't already involved in several yachts already, then I would have a crack at the R40.

Different strokes suit different folks, and Syndicates have been awesome for my family and i

I love the Ross40, all Ross boats actually. Would make a nice family cruiser. But cruising AND racing one, even in a syndicate, forget it. Even Simon gets his race kicks out of a sport boat now.

They will cost a fortune, look at the sails in the ad, only a couple of years old and stretch marks like new mother. I doubt you'd get more than a season out of the sails if you raced it every week.

Want a syndicate racer then buy Waka, it beat it round the North Island and probably just needed a hose down (and inside) afterwards. Or an Elliot 1050 or 10.5, Both beat it too

Costs $12 grand plus for a marina, $3grand for insurance at least one $10k sail a year. Halyards, jammers, winches, engine, antifouling, entry fees

I take back my $20k, more like $30k

Thought I might add my 2c worth as a Ross 40 owner.

The photo of Urban and Provincial Cowboy pacing each other side by side is a Gold Cup race from a couple of years ago and that mainsail on Urban was subsequently replaced with a new one.  The FRO's were both new - any wrinkles were just how they looked from day one.  Urban is a quick boat, especially broad reaching and running - we really noticed their extra pace with the square top main.

I can't speak highly enough of the Ross 40, fantastic boat for Auckland and also a great family cruiser - albeit one with very long legs.  Once you work out how to make them go, they're a great all round boat and a really good size for passage racing, SSANZ events and RNI etc.  Urban is a timber boat and is probably a bit more racing-oriented than PC, which has a full cruising interior and set-up.  But she is great value and as a bonus will have had a lot of work done to get ready for RNI.  These boats have plenty of company in the mixed bunch of 35-45 foot cruiser/racers in the NZ racing scene.

Yes we have moved on to a 11m canter for a fast, wet and fun partnership race boat. So PC will just be cruising for a while as we can't yet bring ourselves to put her on the market.  We'll see. 

On 20/04/2020 at 1:58 PM, Boatworks said:

Thought I might add my 2c worth as a Ross 40 owner.

The photo of Urban and Provincial Cowboy pacing each other side by side is a Gold Cup race from a couple of years ago and that mainsail on Urban was subsequently replaced with a new one.  The FRO's were both new - any wrinkles were just how they looked from day one.  Urban is a quick boat, especially broad reaching and running - we really noticed their extra pace with the square top main.

I can't speak highly enough of the Ross 40, fantastic boat for Auckland and also a great family cruiser - albeit one with very long legs.  Once you work out how to make them go, they're a great all round boat and a really good size for passage racing, SSANZ events and RNI etc.  Urban is a timber boat and is probably a bit more racing-oriented than PC, which has a full cruising interior and set-up.  But she is great value and as a bonus will have had a lot of work done to get ready for RNI.  These boats have plenty of company in the mixed bunch of 35-45 foot cruiser/racers in the NZ racing scene.

Yes we have moved on to a 11m canter for a fast, wet and fun partnership race boat. So PC will just be cruising for a while as we can't yet bring ourselves to put her on the market.  We'll see. 

Yeah, I believe that.  Presuming the structure is good (it's not young and has been well used) it seems like good buying.  But then the maths are changing, and berthing costs are a real problem.  With a global recession, who knows how these things get valued.  Starlight Express seems like a lot of good boat for the money too, but who buys and maintains these boats when the racing scene has moved on?