Jump to content

Just been reading up on offshore regs. Wow. Just wow.

Recommended Posts

So registration  on MNZ register part B (required) costs $1175, and has to be renewed every five years (anyone know the renewal cost?). If the boat is sold, it terminates, and requires re-registration from scratch.


Once this is sorted, it looks like cat 1 requirements apply to any vessel intending to sail offshore (even when not racing). Is a cat 1 safety certificate required for customs and immigration clearance? 


The reason I ask is that Cat 1 requirements now seem to include a minimum length requirement, which would preclude my little 25ft vessel (which sailed here from Denmark, and has done at least four transatlantic crossings, before this), from EVER being able to obtain the cat 1 safety certificate, no matter how safe it is.


Can anyone advise here? Have I got this right?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok. My problem sorted. My swedish boat is going home! $80 for two years, $50 every two years thereafter, full registration, and full international water compliance....   Now I can use the other $110

Tidying things up day which includes updating all my CAA stuff. I'm a pilot, just a PPL, so have certain documents I need to have when flying i.e. in the aircraft with me. They include charts, manuals

+1. Really you would get a better result having the local Kindergarden Social Committee do the job.  CAA would be total overkill.

$940 renewal fee


Yes Customs will require to sight your Cat 1 before they will give you a Zarpa ( exit certificate ) which you will need to clear into all other countries.


Talk to your local YNZ safety inspector or Angus Willison head inspector, your boat will ne exempt from the minimum length requirements if you have history of its past voyages and you have the experience to sail it is my picking. However call them and confirm this before you go any further would be my advice.


Alternatively you can register offshore and avoid all the above, but that’s an other can of worms.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Jon. How can I find out about that whole other can of worms? (From a nz perspective, rather than from the perspective of the flagged country). I believe my boat may still be registered in Denmark.


And how is my experience assessed? Through formal qualification? How can I demonstrate years of offshore sailing experience (which I have), without such?

Link to post
Share on other sites

You need to speak with Angus or your preferred inspector, and get the information directly. This avoids mistakes.

You do not need formal qualifications, but you do need experience, including previous offshore voyages for you or a crew member. The process is not as formal as some here believe. I've almost always found it reasonable.

If you call Angus early, and get them involved, that will begin the process on the right foot, and will help, as they will see you are trying to comply.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Easiest and cheapest solution is offshore registry. There is a surprising number doing it or looking into it now. If like me you have no other passport the options seem to be:

Langkawi. Same price as NZ but easy and no hassles.

A mob in Germany. Cheap as chips and believed to be adequate.

I believe Jersey has a category for commonwealth citizens. Need to look further into that.


All the other possibilities (Panama, Cayman raro) seem set up for superyacht owners to dodge tax and aren't really suitable (way too expensive)


The German option looks good assuming it works.


My biggest worry is word will get out that we are all sidestepping the rules and the plonkers will make up new rules to stop us.

Link to post
Share on other sites

A minimum length requirement? LOL, I guess Webb Chiles' Moore 24 wouldn't qualify (if he were a NZer) - the one he is currently finishing his 6th circumnavigation in. Not to mention the two identical 18' open boats he sailed 35,000 miles in! :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

12m minimum LOA by memory, newer regulation which I read, but cant find it now.


I dont have a problem with most cat 1 requirements, which I see as simply reflecting good, safe seamanship. I DO have a problem with a minimum length requirement, (for the obvious reasons, alluded to, above), as well as the ongoing costs of maintaining part B registration, AND the fact that safety certificates are only valid for one month, after issue, which puts undue (and possibly unsafe) time pressure on the whole process (eg, if people may be tempted to risk less clement weather, in order for their safety certificate not to lapse, whilst waiting for a better window).


If people are bypassing the regs, then perhaps it has something to do with their unreasonable nature? Ultimately, unreasonable regs may promote, (rather than prevent), unsafe seamanship.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Create New...