Just been reading up on offshore regs. Wow. Just wow.

I read this on a cruisers forum thread, which seemed pertinent:

Epirb
Depending on where you are in the world, Some people push the big red button if they get a splinter in their finger,

In the above case, it sounds more like the crew had no faith in the skipper, or in his maintenance schedule (apparently, with some good reason). One of them was a very good friend of his, so mebbe they had good reason to worry! You'd have to ask the question why they agreed to get on the boat, if this was the case, particularly if the skipper "was the only sailor". Smh.

So I'm calling Maritime NZ out as being a bunch of inefficient useless thieving arseholes cowardly hiding behind some w^$@r law that allows them to blatant rip of NZ recreational boaters. Dump the useless shits and get CAA to run it instead.

+2

I really dont see the justification in this cost. In the UK, maintenance on the Small Ships Register costs a whopping one-off fee of $70. What is the justification for MNZ to charge $1000's? It seems punitively expensive, and likely to encourage noncompliance.

For one or two offshore trips in your 5 years it’s very expensive and for 90% of the offshore capable boats this is probably all you would expect to get.

However it is probably the cheapest part of the whole deal, just not justified

We will head off this coming winter and our reg will expire when we are away so another boat dollar.

Mate of mine registered his boat in Amsterdam,eliminated all cat 1 requirements,Sailed safely to the islands and back with no fuss,cant see why you would do it any other way.He is a very good sailor though and his boat is very well set up.

Your mate might get a nasty surprise, one day...Dutch registration of the sort you describe him getting is only technically legally valid in EU waters (although such would USUALLY be accepted elsewhere, I'm guessing). Strictly speaking, Dutch registration which is legally valid in international waters is a lengthy and expensive process, requiring full survey, and paying even greater costs, than MNZ extort! Not sure I'd want to risk being turned back, straight after crossing an ocean!

Again, things like a full survey are entirely sensible before going offshore. But I would rather pay for a decent nautical engineer/surveyor' report, (and excellent safety equipment, with good redundancy of backups), than pay MNZ, for nothing at all!

Plan at the moment for departure next winter: Register on British SSR using wife's details.  Sail overseas.  Cancel SSR and register with NZ once they have reduced levels of fees to reasonable levels.

Do a Cat 1 inspection, just to have someone else run their eye over the boat.

I reckon I can save the cost of at least 2 buckets with lanyards.

Plan at the moment for departure next winter: Register on British SSR using wife's details.  Sail overseas.  Cancel SSR and register with NZ once they have reduced levels of fees to reasonable levels.

Do a Cat 1 inspection, just to have someone else run their eye over the boat.

I reckon I can save the cost of at least 2 buckets with lanyards.

Have you looked into this, Dtwo? My understanding is that SSR requires deeds of sale for past five years. Deeds of sale not only prove ownership, they also prove that VAT has been paid for the boat in the UK (20% of boat's worth). If it hasn't, registering on the SSR might be more expensive than you think!

Would be good to know I'm wrong, as I've got a UK passport hanging around somewhere, with contacts still over there to run addresses from (i also have access to a Spanish passport, and kiwi!), but i excluded SSR on the grounds of the deeds of sale requirement (the previous owner of my boat just scrawled on a bit of paper that I now owned it, from his perspective!).

Ok. My problem sorted. My swedish boat is going home! $80 for two years, $50 every two years thereafter, full registration, and full international water compliance....

Now I can use the other $1100 the MNZ registration would have cost me for a decent secondhand sat phone and brand new cat 1 epirb....money far better spent.

• Upvote 3

Have you looked into this, Dtwo? My understanding is that SSR requires deeds of sale for past five years. Deeds of sale not only prove ownership, they also prove that VAT has been paid for the boat in the UK (20% of boat's worth). If it hasn't, registering on the SSR might be more expensive than you think!

Would be good to know I'm wrong, as I've got a UK passport hanging around somewhere, with contacts still over there to run addresses from (i also have access to a Spanish passport, and kiwi!), but i excluded SSR on the grounds of the deeds of sale requirement (the previous owner of my boat just scrawled on a bit of paper that I now owned it, from his perspective!).

Yes you are wrong on SSR. The SSR has no connection to VAT status. You may find that you are asked for proof of address and residency in the UK when you apply. This may take the form of Council Tax paperwork. The SSR is a very good system and a similar one in NZ would be good. Cost is not “one off” as posted in an earlier post but is required every 5 years.

As an aside I would be interested in any TRUE and first hand stories of people who have had difficulties with CAT 1. I know of only one when a vessel was hauled three months before departure and a CAT1 inspector inspected it, then prior to departure the (different) CAT1 inspector said it required slipping again despite earlier inspection. A simple phone call resolved this matter and the vessel was not reslipped.

I am just interested in factual issues rather than third hand perceptions.

Cost is not “one off” as posted in an earlier post but is required every 5 years.

Yep i saw that they've changed since I was registered on it...it now costs $110 every five years (compared with MNZ's initial $1175, then nigh-on $1000, every five years thereafter).

As an aside I would be interested in any TRUE and first hand stories of people who have had difficulties with CAT 1.

I think the criticisms above seemed much more concerned with cost (particularly of MNZ registry), than bureaucracy gone bad...the general consensus seems to be that the process, although cumbersome, is overcome by the helpfulness of the inspectors...but yes, first hand accounts, good and bad, would be interesting to hear.

Funnily enough the boat carried on and without them sailed all the way to Queensland!

https://www.yachtingmonthly.com/news/mutiny-yacht-found-sailing-17216

And funnily enough, that very episode is cited as evidence of the seaworthiness of the Compass 790 in an ad currently on TM. Maybe the owner read this thread :) ...

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/yachts/keeler/auction-1889993753.htm

Yes you are wrong on SSR. The SSR has no connection to VAT status. You may find that you are asked for proof of address and residency in the UK when you apply. This may take the form of Council Tax paperwork. The SSR is a very good system and a similar one in NZ would be good. Cost is not “one off” as posted in an earlier post but is required every 5 years.

As an aside I would be interested in any TRUE and first hand stories of people who have had difficulties with CAT 1. I know of only one when a vessel was hauled three months before departure and a CAT1 inspector inspected it, then prior to departure the (different) CAT1 inspector said it required slipping again despite earlier inspection. A simple phone call resolved this matter and the vessel was not reslipped.

I am just interested in factual issues rather than third hand perceptions.

The original NZ yacht Rego was based on the UK SSR, I think if memory serves, it cost $25.00 NZ. Unfortunately once the user pays / cost recovery idea became the Norm with bureaucratic bean counters, they basically took the total costs of running the department and spread it over all users. So rather than paying for what you got, you were paying a share of whatever the other users got as well. All done with no accountability!