Yourmomm

Just been reading up on offshore regs. Wow. Just wow.

I dont have a problem with most cat 1 requirements, which I see as simply reflecting good, safe seamanship. I DO have a problem with a minimum length requirement, (for the obvious reasons, alluded to, above), as well as the ongoing costs of maintaining part B registration, AND the fact that safety certificates are only valid for one month, after issue, which puts undue (and possibly unsafe) time pressure on the whole process (eg, if people may be tempted to risk less clement weather, in order for their safety certificate not to lapse, whilst waiting for a better window).

If people are bypassing the regs, then perhaps it has something to do with their unreasonable nature? Ultimately, unreasonable regs may promote, (rather than prevent), unsafe seamanship.

Blimey,

You are onto it, those are the fundamental issues with the whole system... Shame the system administrators weren't as quick on the uptake.

Ok. Was wondering why I couldn't find reference to this, again. Is there a pdf to download with correct information islandtime? Best I could come up was the I spector's checklist:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/astrolabesailing.com/2014/03/24/yachting-nz-cat-1/amp/

Link on Yachting NZ's page (under 'Racing', cause offshore cruisers do a lot of that...)

https://www.yachtingnz.org.nz/resources/yachting-new-zealand-safety-regulations-sailing-2017-2020

What sort of boat do you have?

The stability requirements are a major hoop to jump through for CAT 1, although you can probably get grandfathered through if its already sailed here from Denmark.

Am I missing something here, you can sail off around NZ anywhere anytime with most insurance companies you are covered out to the 200 mile zone,nz waters?

Could if keen go as far south south as Campbell islands or north of 3 kings,  which I suspect would encounter more weather bombs and wave height situations than one sailing up to the islands. So why is cat1 so important to ynz/mnz??

Why do you have to prove offshore experience?  If it purely an exercise to save search n rescue costs to the tax payer. why not have an insurance scheme that one needs to take out before venturing offshore??

Having a vessel met a certain standard insures nothing,offshore experience crew with a rogue skipper then what??

Yep you can sail offshore 200miles with most insurance companies...but that's not the same as getting clearance to land at a foreign port...

I really dont mind requirements in relation to offshore experience and safety equipment/communications/such like. They're all pretty sensible. And if crew were competent, and a skipper was not, and did not respond to their advice, there would soon be a mutiny. You dont let someone else take a risk with your life. I doubt the situation would arise, as you wouldn't get on a boat, if you didnt trust the skipper?

The skipper is legally responsible. You sign on as crew, you are legally obliged to follow his/her commands. Choose your skippers carefully.

A mutiny would be interesting legally.im not sure what would happen...