Yachts no fenders coming into adjacent berths

Hi, 

Just recently arrived in New Zealand after sailing from Europe and would like to ask kiwis why not deploying fenders is so common here.

In Europe it's unheard of to not deploy fenders both for your own boat and for others in case a small mistake ends up in contact.

But here in NZ I find i’m often fending off kiwi boats coming into the adjacent berths without any fenders down, It’s become infuriating.

Yesterday a big aluminium work boat came in trying to squeeze into my double berth with no fenders down , I shouted at them to deploy their fenders and they left.- I did give them a hard time but they totally denied any responsibility to fend off when I approached them after.

Last week a power boat was practicing reversing in the marina without fenders and hit my boat, I woke up and had to run up and fend them off, I shouted at them and all they said was !! “Hey we are just practicing” I should have given them a really hard time but I stupidly held back.

A month back I was in a marina in windy conditions where it was obvious fenders were necessary, a large yacht came in without any fenders and it got completely sideways and did some damaged to a small power boat in the adjacent berth, the offender didn’t even bother to go over and check out the damage]. Kinda like ah well it happens the manager was watching/helping.

Another story: 2 months back I was in a tiny marina a yacht came in, difficult conditions strong side wind, No fenders down and backed hard onto another yacht obviously doing structural damage by the sound of it – I reported it to the manager, but the local hadn’t bothered.

Europe I developed no patience for stupidity, I guess here it seems people have’t got to that level of fatigue? – or have I just lost the plot and making a big deal of nothing?

It's part of the NZ attitude I'm afraid. Our safety culture is waaayyy behind because some people view safety rules as government interference. It's also part of the knockabout (see what I did there?) tradition of 'she'll be right'. It also means people will have a go at doing something even if they can't. It's wonderful that they try but rather awful when they fail. I recently had my boat pulled from the water on a cradle. The yard owners had appointed new people who were "learning on the job". Damage to my boat resulted and I was out of the water for months instead of a few days. Even the repairers had a poor attitude to their own workmanship, appointing apprentices without supervision. I had to get them back three times and still the job wasn't finished. The attitude was that it was simple to finish it off and I could do so myself without troubling them. Welcome to our little islands at the bottom of the world. And many thanks for the heads up. We really need to lift our game.

• Upvote 1

Lack of enforcement and probably more so...pride. I will use fenders in springing off a finger berth in a cross wind if there is a chance I will swing into another vessel. In comes the pride, lack of and too much! Too much pride to get someone from the marina to come down and help you in or out "I'm an experienced skipper..I know how to do this". Famous thoughts! Marsden cove are great, most times they will come down and grab lines or swing the bow to get you safely out. The no pride is from not being bothered or care if those watching or are directly affected matter. The classic is 5kts within 50 meters of an anchored vessel. Nothing like showing everyone what a dick you are! It seems to be inversely proportional to the size of the vessel! I see it every day at it never ceases to amaze me. A good topic sailabroad but it won't change a bloody thing mate.

You’ll soon discover that kiwis are amazing sailors (cruising and racing) and the success of this small nation on the world stage of sailing (Americas Cup of note of course) is reflective of grass roots sailing culture.

However. You will also have to make some big adjustments to some kiwi boating habits and learn to cope accordingly. On the fenders issue, one strategy I’ve used is leaving fenders on the outside of my boat when I had a novice neighbour in the berth nextdoor for a few months.

I have some other bugbears but I won’t start now...

Thanks for the responses.

Yes, I always leave 3 fenders permanently on the visitors side (a habit from Med mooring ); but it looks like I have to move another.;(

Incidentally it didn't help when the speed boat hit me:

A few weeks ago I came back from shopping to see a brand new 600$K NZD( the price sticker still attached! classy) yacht berthed next to me fenders all tied up beautifully on the stern ;) it was a cross wind so again I have no doubt they collected my fenders on the reverse in; and the gap was also very small, i looked for damage nothing obvious.. I really thought about going to talk to them about it, what were they were thinking? but decided against.

Other things to look out for would be appreciated. 

That explains why the berths in Te Ana marina have huge dividing poles at the entrance and amidships. I couldn’t understand it at first. They would have to screw up comprehensively to be able to hit me, but I’ve never seen the like in Europe.

Just don’t get me started on the quality of workmanship by the “marine tradesmen” down here...

I’m trying out Sounds Marine in Waikawa next week so we’ll see how that goes.

I live between two broker berths and recently got a gouge out of the side of the boat.  (I only finished repainting the whole thing 18 months ago)

Was talking to the neighbour across the pier and he said he saw the guy leave and somehow get the nose of his newly acquired stinkpot through onto my side of the pole.  I know the boat is around at Milford marina now but what can you do.

Kinda pisses me off as I'm pretty sure I'd know if I hit someones boat.  

But then I'd also know if I hit someones car with my scooter, like some goon did at a set of lights about a month ago, who then roared off, fortunately after a low speed chase through several streets and roundabouts in Takapuna he came to a red light and has been ok about it since. 

What is it they say about 99% of lawyers giving the rest a bad name.  (yep, he was one...)

kind of what I liked about moorings,hard to cock pick up up,which is stronger wind or tide,which way is everyone laying,The 26ft I had was a shocker in reverse,borrowed a marina once and went head in and walked it astern when time to leave.Recently borrowed a friends launch and in reverse you had to steer  to stb to go straight,lucky I had watched over times before or would of been disastrous.