whangamumu swell?

Can anyone comment on whangamumu in SW with easterly swell? e.g. forecast for +3 days from now. Obviously the SW part is good, just wondering if you'd expect the swell to come in and have you rolling around.

Be a little surprised if there was any E swell in three days.  Certainly wouldn't think there'd be enough to be a problem in Whangamumu.  My experience has been it takes a good 2m swell before you can't find some shelter that's acceptable (as distinct from good) in there.

I’ve stayed in there in a big easterly swell

They break on the wall straight ahead when your entering and you can’t believe that it could possibly be good.

However you always fine a flat spot either hard left or off the whaling station and sometimes in the deeper water of the centre.

Great spot, probably my favourite of the northland coast.

to answer my own question: it was fabulous. just a little easterly swell outside, perfectly calm inside. and a fabulous spot. 'twas a family cruise so was definitely looking for good/perfect rather than acceptable, and it was.

Yep it's great in there, We missed our window to leave their last year and got caught in a 4 day easterly blow last Jan, Tutukaka was showing 70+ kn gusts and whilst it was bumpy in their it wasn't that bad. Really good pockets to hide behind on either side.

You know you've messed up when your the only boat in the bay over summer tho!