thefreerangekiwi

29-30 footer

Hi all, I've been reading through posts on this forum as I am considering buying a yacht around the 29-30ft mark. Could be a little smaller or a little bigger but I think this size would suit me. Based in Auckland for cruising the Gulf and Northland but looking to go further afield with it if I feel comfortable. Mainly I'll be sailing single-handed or with one or two others from time to time. I'm on a tight budget so I'm thinking $20-30,000ish with some extra put aside for upgrades and maintenance. I'm comfortable doing work on it myself and I'd prefer GRP, not wood. I'm just under 6' and would like to be able to stand up straight in the cabin. I wouldn't mind something with a shallowish draft for getting out from where I'm looking at mooring it on low tides and also tucking up in some anchorages but it's not a deal breaker. From some old threads on here and from what I have seen advertised on TradeMe I think something like a Whiting 29 or possibly a Lotus 9.2 might be suitable and potentially affordable. Others I have seen mentioned here are the Marauder 8.4, Lidgard 29 and Carpenter 29. How do they compare? Are there any other yachts that I should also put on my list to consider? 

Those you've mentioned are all good boats. Also worth thinking about a farr 9.2 or a y88. All have been for sale in the price range you mention - probably a case of looking at and maybe trying to organise a sail on a few and see what you think. Personally I'd look for the tidyiest one that's had the most love you can find as it's easy to buy a "project" and blow the budget!

Davidson 28 also good. Older design than the others mentioned and slightly older thinking in the performance and layout than the others mentioned. But I'd take a tidy d28 over a rough one of the others.

Bear in mind everything mentioned above is likely to be over 30 years old so condition can vary greatly. A new engine/sails are big expenses so try and look for one with those in good condition at least.

I know of a Young 88 that could be had for $22K. Its a Roger Land built one that has a reasonably new rig and OK condition sails. The interior needs a b it of a tidy up but it's useable now. PM me if you are interested and I can arrange to show you.

Thanks for the advice so far. While I love a beautiful wooden boat I don't really like the associated issues and teak decks are not on my list of positive attributes which is why I'm more focused on GRP boats. The Davidson 28 seems good but slightly dated, not off the list but not at the top at the moment. I'll keep it in mind. I hadn't considered the Young 88, probably because I had associated them more with racing. What are they like for single or short handed cruising? How weight sensitive are they and how tender? I see there's a Mk I and a Mk II. What's the difference? 

There’s an SR26 on trademe that I would put at the top of the list.

Depends what you want to do, but I like faster boats and find they teach you more than the heavier boats like D28’s etc.

Also in the winter you can race them, that makes you go out in pretty shitty weather which serves you well when it roughs up while cruising.

Also in the sub 30 ft range, outboards can be nice as diesels can be expensive to fix. Outboard craps out, you can take it off to fix and repower for a fraction of the cost of a diesel repower.

With boat prices as they are you could get into a R930 or an E 7.9 for your budget or a young 88. Lots of fun and all boats I’d pick over Easterlies or D28’s - just a generation or so newer. That’s just my view though.

Having a boat that can go into race mode means it will get used more in cooler months and that is good for boats and the soul!