Sabre

Folding to fixed

Thank you fellas. Sounds like feathering will be the way to go when I get to that job. The next question is.. am I brave enough to look up what they are worth?

Kiwiprops are generally a good price (cheap), and have fixed pricing (I believe) based on the prop size. Added bonus with the Kiwi is you can adjust the pitch to optimise motoring speed. Composite blades, so are light, you can change the blades and fairly much every other component on them as the wear. All fixed or folding props wear. 

Kiwis do require maintenance (greasing). Some people don't like them because of that element (they require attention, same frequency as the antifoul).

We have had one for maybe 15 years, and are very happy with it. It is like grandpa's axe though, in that just about every component has been replaced at some stage over that time.

What size is your current prop, and what is your engine (size and max RPM) and gearbox ratio? The Kiwis can't go on too small an engine as the stall the engine when going in reverse. I'm fairly sure you can get the pricing straight off the website based on your required prop diameter.

What's the motor and drive? I have an old volvo 3 blade folder if it's any use to you....

Hi IT.. engine is a 2gm20f (16hp) and shaft drive. I’m not sure of shaft size.. I must remember to take verniers to boat tomorrow..

Kiwiprops are generally a good price (cheap), and have fixed pricing (I believe) based on the prop size. Added bonus with the Kiwi is you can adjust the pitch to optimise motoring speed. Composite blades, so are light, you can change the blades and fairly much every other component on them as the wear. All fixed or folding props wear. 

Kiwis do require maintenance (greasing). Some people don't like them because of that element (they require attention, same frequency as the antifoul).

We have had one for maybe 15 years, and are very happy with it. It is like grandpa's axe though, in that just about every component has been replaced at some stage over that time.

What size is your current prop, and what is your engine (size and max RPM) and gearbox ratio? The Kiwis can't go on too small an engine as the stall the engine when going in reverse. I'm fairly sure you can get the pricing straight off the website based on your required prop diameter.

Thanks Fish, that is sounding more like an option.. I will look into it further. Engine is 2gm20f, 16hp and listed max RPM is 3600. Gearbox I believe is Kanzaki but I’m not sure what ratio. I’m also not sure what size the current prop is.. still getting to know the boat. Like I say it goes ok but it doesn’t have a lot of stopping power and it doesn’t take much of a sea way to knock off a lot of speed. With the amount of hp on a small boat I feel it should have the torque to be able to push through the chop a lot easier if it had a better prop.

pricing for the kiwiprop as below.

If the engine is too small, it can stall going into reverse. I can't find the right info on the website (not the easiest of sites to navigate) but the 3 blade is spec'd from 15 Hp up, so you should be OK, but the supplier will be able to confirm. I'd think the ratio of the GB and the high reving engine should help, but don't quote me on that.

From a prop design/ efficiency point of view, its best to get the biggest prop that will fit (diameter) then reduce the pitch so the engine can handle it. Our sized prop is a 16 x 12, but we run at Kiwi at 17.5 x about 14. Good 'bite' into a chop, and reversing is strong.

K3 - Kiwiprop 3 Bladed Units

NZ $ 110 / inch of diameter ( Rounded down ) + GST.   eg 16 ½" = NZ $ 1760 + GST @ 15 %

http://www.kiwiprops.co.nz/cms/index.php/pricing/kfp-nzpricing

Hi Sabre

I Have a kiwi on my Raven 31. Couldn't be happier after 9 years with it. 2gm20 so same size. Have literally covered thousands of miles with somewhat regular greasing and using trilux with a light coat of grease as an antifoul