DrWatson

YNZ Race Regulations Cat1-Cat5; Anomalies and concerns

There's quite a few material differences between the keelboat and trailer yacht rules. They obviously don't sit in the same room when putting them together.

I suspect the keelboat guys push the limits a bit more and the trailer yacht guys are mainly a bunch of Noelex 25 owners trying to hold on to their line honours victories

17 hours ago, Deep Purple said:

They obviously don't sit in the same room when putting them together.

Too much copy n paste.

I managed to get some tidied up for the last edition, someone had copy n pasted EU speak into a book for NZ speakers which made it all a bit WTF?? But there is still a lot of dross and conflicts that should be sorted but then as no one really looks that close any longer the flaws aren't really much to worry about.

18 hours ago, Deep Purple said:

There's quite a few material differences between the keelboat and trailer yacht rules. They obviously don't sit in the same room when putting them together.

I suspect the keelboat guys push the limits a bit more and the trailer yacht guys are mainly a bunch of Noelex 25 owners trying to hold on to their line honours victories

Originally , the KORC committee had a NZTYA rep sit with them to align/or resolve/guide such perceived conflicts in the regs ( makes sense No?)  As I understand it this was done away with during the last review.  The NZTYA regs in places are onerous and archaic in my IMHO particularly with respect to the faster TY's ; and especially more recent additions such as DP and FForty.  Although as a Cat 3/ Cat 2 keelboat owner a number of the regs impose significant ongoing cost which are a clear barrier to entry and participation.

Can some one please point out the use of a fog horn,if in dense fog very hard to direct what direction  it is coming from.So you have a fleet of 15 vessels all horning away at 1 long/2 short every 2 minutes.Utter confusion.     As per international collision regs 22.35 yet nothing YNZ apart from carrying a horn??

Ynz cannot override the colregs. In fog, you must proceed at a safe speed. If you cannot see at all, and have no radar, and can hear fog signals, stop until you are sure you are safe.

Same horn is used for manoeuvring, or the WTF signal (5 short).

7 hours ago, Island Time said:

Ynz cannot override the colregs.

Yes they can. it is explicitly says so in the NZ Rules. You must follow the NZ Rules with respect to vessels not racing but if you are racing under theRRS the "coregs" to use your term do not apply unless the SI say so.

Nothing in this Part applies to a vessel participating in a race or training or coaching in relation to other vessels participating in such an activity, if the participants have agreed to comply with the International Sailing Federation Rules, prescribed by the International Sailing Federation.

https://www.maritimenz.govt.nz/rules/part-22/Part22-maritime-rule.pdf

OK,  lets look into that: 

Yes the RRS (Racing rules of sailing ) does give some exceptions - passing close at more than 5 knots etc etc. However, there are fundamentals that it cannot change. FOG and restricted visibility is one. You will find this in the RRS;

48. FOG SIGNALS AND LIGHTS; TRAFFIC SEPARATION SCHEMES
When safety requires, a boat shall sound fog signals and show lights as required by the International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea (IRPCAS) or applicable government rules.

So you are still governed by the colregs  (not my term, Convention on the International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea, 1972 (COLREGs), in fog. 

You MUST sound fog signals, and stop completely if needed, in fog, even when racing.