Nostlagia - just some old photos

I have been scanning some old negatives, some of which are in very poor condition, but may bring back some memories.  I hope you find something interesting amongst them.

I will start with the launch of Feltex Roperunner in late 1980 at Half Moon Bay. You may recognize some people, Don and Jim Lidgard, Farr, Bowler...

Feltex Launch 1980_2.jpg

Feltex Launch 1980_1.jpg

Feltex Launch 1980_3.jpg

Here is a series from the start or the White Island Race in 1981.  In those days the race started before Anniversary Weekend and it was common to get back in time for a sleep and then to race the Anniversary Day Regatta - as the new Admirals Cuppers did that year.

Here is Epiglass NZ.

Epiglass NZ 1981.jpg

White Island Race start 1981:  here is Jipcho  - love that horizontal panel spinnaker, while Ants (bow in view) is carrying what Lidgards used to call their "5 star" spinnaker.  That looks to be their "Squadron" rather than IOR kite.  Epiglass is beyond.

White Island Start 1981_3.jpg

White Island Race start 1981:  Feltex Roperunner and Epiglass set kites at the start, while in the same photo we have a Farr 38, two of which are competing in the Round NZ 38 years later.

White Island Start 1981_4.jpg

Sorry for the really poor condition of this one, but I can't leave out Swuzzlebubble III, chasing down Epiglass.  Swuzzlebubble went on to be top boat at the Admirals Cup that year.

White Island Start 1981_5.jpg

They are scanned with an Epson Perfection V700.  These are just quick and dirty scans - with minimal follow-up work.  I can take hours over a full negative restoration where the image merits it.

Anniversary Day 1980.  A little context here - Condor of Bermuda had just recently arrived in Auckland after crossing the Tasman from Hobart (2nd on line in the Sydney-Hobart that year - 1979).  Skippered by Peter Blake with his new wife Pippa, she hove-to for several hours during a severe storm.  Smackwater Jack, Paul Whiting and crew were lost in the same storm.  We were in the shelter of Whangaroa Harbour when the worst hit, but that night our analog anemometer was stuck at 60 knots. 

Condor was a great sight on the harbour that day, when maxi yachts were still relatively rare visitors to Auckland and could pull a crowd.

Anniversary Day 1980.jpg