Liferaft wanted

I’ve got a 12 year old raft in a solid case that I’m going to ditch as it’s almost cheaper to buy new and then I get 3 x 3 year servicing, was going to New Cal about the same time your looking but due to health issues now not going this year.

Call me if you want to contribute to buying a new one and you can use it first, otherwise I’ll wait till I need it next year.

Are they getting any smaller as technology advances?

On boats in the 40 foot category I sometimes see them mounted on the fore deck or at least forward of the dodger. Appreciate mounting options may be limited, but is that really a good idea? Don't you want it in the cockpit?

Are they getting any smaller as technology advances?

On boats in the 40 foot category I sometimes see them mounted on the fore deck or at least forward of the dodger. Appreciate mounting options may be limited, but is that really a good idea? Don't you want it in the cockpit?

I’m in the market for a new one so been doing a bit of sussing

Advances, two things have happened in the last few year

1, they have split in two directions, smaller lighter and more expensive ( ideal for race boats )

2 Chinese and cheaper, possible half as heavy again and 25% larger but 20 to 40% cheaper.

We are getting ripped here, they are up to half the price in other places around the world.

Some of the smaller ones are Chinese too or maybe they all are ?

As for stowage I’d never go fordeck however in a 40’ or less cabin top is a good spot as out of the way and easy to acces without other gear being stowed on top

Larger yachts with wide transom I really like the rail mounting option, however some yachts have dedicated lockers which is also good as they are out of sight and sunlight

Interesting Jon, which brands you looking at?  I'm in the same boat looking at raft options.  I have a dedicated locker for the raft so looking at soft shell options.  Buying new vs. refurbishment no brainer.  

BP i have a soft shell 4 person that is still certified that I could loan possibly will check the expiry date when on the boat later today. 

I’ve spoken to both Safety at Sea and RFD plus I’ve been told to try Transport and Marine in Tauranga, haven’t got too serious yet. And now we aren’t going this winter will probably hold off another year.

I’ve also spoken to a few race crews of late that have bought new rather than servicing.

Older rafts have to be serviced annually or at best every two years and for the price of 2 or 3 services you can buy new and new rafts are 3 year service for the first 3 services = 9 years then probably best thrown away (that helps the environment, however if I ever need to step up into one I’d rather it was newer than recycled I guess)

I'll be down in Auckland raft shopping Thursday.  My selection choices are Waypoint Ocean, Ocean Safety and Switlik.  I like the Switlik concept of the consumables being packed "outside" the raft so they can be replaced without a full repack.  Not sure how that works in deployment and I'm not sure if they have a 4 person raft.  A lot of the rafts now seem to use TPU which appears to be a better material.  The devil is in the detail - servicing intervals, servicing availability, longevity.  Wrote the CSM one off, needs to be serviced every year and I do not have a lot of confidence in their integrity.