SSANZ 2020 Round North Island Race

Pretty sharp looking fleet, will be some interesting racing. Great work SSANZ and all those that entered.

Looking like 3 races in one

40 footers to cant or not

35s say no more

And about 30 or less with a really good mix of boats that will go in different conditions

Then there are the line honours boats

Plus the boats that have a sail of a lifetime to knock off

• Upvote 1

It’s starting to sound like the race of the decade. Well, we’re not going to make it and it’s likely just as well given it’s well sold out. But for the next one after this, it’s a lot more likely you’ll see at least 1 pogo 36 on the line...

It’s starting to sound like the race of the decade. Well, we’re not going to make it and it’s likely just as well given it’s well sold out. But for the next one after this, it’s a lot more likely you’ll see at least 1 pogo 36 on the line...

Get in touch early next time also Doc and maybe do a 15000nm warm up

The sweet spot for this race is 36 to 38 which is likely to be what is on the start line for this one.

We are making long term arrangements in Wellington for the use of Queens Wharf in the centre of town plus Napier are extending there visitors berthage, this may well not be complete for this race but hopefully at least partly so it’s going to be a massive raftup currently.

There were suggestions about running multiple starts spaced apart, other than creating massively more work for the volunteers at Mangonui, Wellington, Napier and within SSANZ it would destroy the nature of an event that any dog can have his day, you see events all over the world where unless it’s very light winds that build once the big boats have crossed then big boat wins, this race is often won by a boat out of the middle of the pack.

50+ foot race boats are a handful two up.

• Upvote 1

Hi all RNI competitors,

I have been asked by a number of you to run another "Offshore medical Course" for RNI competitors prior to the race, so have agreed to

Planning is in early stages however I have set the date as Sat 1st Feb 2020 so you have a little time before the race

Jon will update you as we finalise things and I will update here

Regards

Dr Dave

Looks like you here will be some room for others also

So if your cruising offshore next winter or planning on the Fiji race watch this space for details on how to sign up

Hey team 

I've posted this in its own topic in tech talk but ideas would be great.

I'm looking for ideas on a try sail track on Sniper. 

Its an alloy mast with an internal track. 

Basically I don't want to put an ugly external track on the outside of the mast and have all the bulk and weight of the track on the mast. 

Ideas? 

Can we do a short track at the bottom of the mast which feeds into the internal track?

Or another alternative might be a dynex strop which goes from the gooseneck up the mast and we hoist the trysail on this. 

I think Katana uses this.

The rig is out of the boat until 21 september and I'm just looking for ideas.

What happened to the rudder on High Voltage? 1st report I heard was they had lost it,  but next it was re-connected and they were back on their way north to join leg 2?

Maybe a cable? Or a failed/lost key, or what?

They thought they'd lost it but after getting into opua on emergency steering and hauling out on the travel lift it was still there. Along with some impressive scrapes in their antifouling as if they'd hooked something with it. So seems something like a lost key or similar after collecting something.

Great that they can rejoin the other legs.