Iridium Go

there is a lot of useful info here

https://support.predictwind.com/hc/en-us/categories/200016475-Iridium-GO-

I have found Nick Olsen at Predictwind very helpful.

one point which may not be clear is that if you use an Iridium email address, then you can only access the emails via satellite - you cannot access them thru a regular internet connection.

If you prefer to forward your existing emails, you can do this (for a price) via services such as Sailmail, UUPlus, Xgate. They have filters set up just to send you the outline and hold all the attachments back for downloading when you wish.

Just installed an external aerial myself, the cable is about as co-operative as an angry python...

When you fit the aerial be aware that it needs to be wired/routed from the aerial, not the other way. The fitting is oversize at the aerial end.

Thankyou, yours sincerely

Bastards International.

When you fit the aerial be aware that it needs to be wired/routed from the aerial, not the other way. The fitting is oversize at the aerial end.

Thankyou, yours sincerely

Bastards International.

When you run the cable good to have 2 or 3 people on the job to help guide it around any corners and to feed it into the above mentioned aerial fitting.

Also make sure the end of the heavy cable feeding the Iridium Go is securely supported to ensure no strain is placed on the delicate little cable that connects to the Go modem.

If you need to get the cable shortened some of the Marine Leccy's have the fittings and crimp tool - I had Beacon Marine modify my cable

I have heard that since the Next satellites are all up now, Go users should see some performance improvement. It may not be real increase in speed but the latency may have dropped and an apparent speed increase through the more reliable connections.

Anyone able to verify?

Received the following advice from Keryn at  Predictwind:

Iridium have released new firmware. We are seeing up to 50% speed increase when on the NEXT satellites. Normally the data rate is 12KB/min but now we are seeing speeds up to 18KB/min. In addition the voice quality with the new firmware on the NEXT satellites is far superior.

Please check you have the latest Iridium GO! firmware, by connecting your phone to the Iridium Go Wifi, open the Iridium GO! app on your mobile phone, login to the Iridium GO, and go to the Help icon, click on the "about" menu. The Iridium GO! Firmware version should be 2.1.8.

It is critical that you have the latest firmware for a reliable connection. To upgrade please follow the instructions at

https://support.predictwind.com/hc/en-us/articles/205341170--Iridium-GO-Firmware-Upgrade-Version-2-1-8

Is the Iridium Go aerial similar to a GPS aerial - in that it can deal with a little bit of something between it and the sky?  Or is a prima donna and want nothing at all above it?