How to become an international yacht delivery skipper?

Don't know what gave you that idea. The old NZ yachtmaster courses have been replaced at Coastguard BY the RYA courses.

Mostly you can do delivery work with no certs at all, but more and more countries are looking for certification, and many insurance companies insist on it.

RYA with commercial endorsement is the most common cert, but an STCW Masters cert is likely better.

I have RYA Yachtmaster, shortly to be commercially endorsed with STCW, but be warned, NZ does not currently accept this for working in NZ.

There is currently NO ticket that is accepted in NZ and worldwide, its a shambles!

I’m currently working on this. Maritime NZ have told me that the STCW endorsed RYA cert is no good, as it’s issued by RYA, not by the MCA. So it’s a legal commercial ticket in the UK, endorsed as such by the MCA, but not acceptable as they did not issue it!

What a pile of bureaucratic nonsense!

The RYA know of the issues here in NZ, and have given me the name of their guy here, but I’ve not yet made contact. I will do so shortly.

Ok thats a relief, but really quite a mess. So If I am asked to deliver a boat from Fiji to LA, what am I meant to do?

Is there a living to be made doing this?

If so there should be tertiary levels qualifications as mentioned so young guys can get onto this to make a living doing something we all enjoy, thats if sh*t doesnt hit the fan rofl.

I've been doing deliveries world wide for over 45 years. Twice tried to make a living at it and failed. But it been a nice top up when cruising and a paid holiday when working.

I have never held any qualifications. Until recently insurance companies would accept a lit of experience (ran to 4 typewritten pages). But now I'm missing out on some. But I own my own boat now now can afford to go cruising without delivery work.

I was considering getting RYA thing but after reading this thread less interested now.

Yeah,I got that, and the discussion I'm having is how can they accept that for a sail vessel, but not the power? I want both.

There is a simple sail-power 3 hour test to convert RYA yachtmaster sail to yachtmaster power, and the commercial endorsement carries over.

But maritime nz wont accept the rya power ticket, even for a lower ticket like SRL here in NZ.

Interestingly they refer you to coastguard, who apparently can decide what could cross credit. Coastguard are a training organisation, it's in their interests to give no cross credits, and charge for a complete srl course. At this point they say to me they "may" credit boatmaster, the most basic course.

Oh yeah, I also have boatmaster and yachtmaster (NZ - the old one signed by the minister of transport) no cross credits for them either, as they are more than 10 years old.

I was considering getting RYA thing but after reading this thread less interested now.

You should do the RYA Yachtmaster BP. I've done it.

There is a very good module on Navigation. It covers how to navigate regulations and bureaucratic requirements. One of the most useful modules for anyone wanting to go sailing these days, both inshore or offshore.

Note that the syllabus doesn't actually teach maritime navigation, as it assumes that anyone with the prerequisite sea miles to do the course has already made it from one side of an ocean to the other just fine without the training.

Just look at how IT is using his skills from that qualification to get ahead of the curve while trying to deal with Maritime NZ and CG Boating Education.

Another benefit of the RYA Yachtmaster, it also teaches you how to smell bullshit from 10 nautical miles ;-)

You should do the RYA Yachtmaster BP. I've done it.

There is a very good module on Navigation. It covers how to navigate regulations and bureaucratic requirements. One of the most useful modules for anyone wanting to go sailing these days, both inshore or offshore.

Note that the syllabus doesn't actually teach maritime navigation, as it assumes that anyone with the prerequisite sea miles to do the course has already made it from one side of an ocean to the other just fine without the training.

Just look at how IT is using his skills from that qualification to get ahead of the curve while trying to deal with Maritime NZ and CG Boating Education.

Another benefit of the RYA Yachtmaster, it also teaches you how to smell bullshit from 10 nautical miles ;-)

Sad but true.  I believe the best way to get commercial sea-time is to clean the dunny on the Waiheke ferry.  Somehow that counts more than a lifetime of sea miles and actual experience.

KM, that's simply not correct. There is the shorebased exam, and prior course material. My shore based test took a day.

Then there is an approx 12 hour practical test, including lights, shapes, sound signals, navigation and a blind navigation exercise where you navigate from below, simulating a fog.

The shorebased course took about 3 weeks full time for me. If you dont pass each section, you can't do the exam.

It was a LOT more detailed than the old NZ yachtmaster. And that had no practical test at all, it was just theory, at least when I did mine 8n the 1980s.

• Upvote 1

That RYC is very light weight compared to what it's replaced, which was pretty lightweight for what it replaced.

RYC Ocean Yachmaster, minimum exam time 1.5hrs. When I did OY I had 18hrs of exams plus Morse blocks and out on boats, during day time and night time, demonstrating I could use a Sextant and what to do with what it told me.

Probably just a indication at how much GPS and iPad Apps have dumbed civilisation down so much.

You may be right about the RYC course KM. 

But I've never heard of it. Does it even exist?

IT is definitely right about the RYA Yachtmaster Course. The RYA courses make the Coastguard courses, especially Boatmaster and the like, it makes them look like a complete joke.

Sorry, I took it off the RYC website so assumed it was correct.

Why would RYC, or anyone, still teach Morse, Semaphore, radio decoding, etc? That seems a bit of a waste of time these days. But pleased to see boaters still have to go out on the wet and do real Nav using just a sextant. It'll be good once the zombies have eaten thru the power cables as the GPS batteries won't last long ;)

My on the water was 2 x 4hrs in daylight and 2 x 4hrs at night. 1 of each for boat handling and general stuff like lights, the other for Nav. 

I'm not sure what you are talking about.

Everyone else is talking about the Royal Yachting Association, known as the RYA, their yachtmaster qualificaiton.

Who is the RYC?, and why do they still teach morse, semaphore and radio decoding?

Attention to details KM, attention to details, it avoids great big f*ck ups....

There a number of qualifications in NZ,unfortunately to be recognized internationally a qualification has to comply with STCW.

Below is one

https://www.maritimenz.govt.nz/commercial/certification/masters-and-deck/master-yacht.asp

"With this certificate, you can perform the functions and duties of master on a superyacht of less than 3000 gross tonnage (GT) in any operating area. A superyacht is a commercial yacht or sail training vessel that is 24 metres or more in length, less than 3000GT and does not carry cargo or more than 12 passengers.

This is the highest-level command certificate for superyachts. To command any other type of vessel you must obtain the appropriate certificate."

A course in NZ for the above

https://www.manukau.ac.nz/study/areas-of-study/maritime/domestic-maritime/chief-mate-yachtmaster-yacht

There are a few companies I know that deliver small vessels around the world, they only employee people with STCW tickets, some of the skippers have tickets for under3000GT but a couple have

RYA Yachtmaster

They do a Coastal, and Offshore, and Ocean versions. I have the syllabus ion my couch, hardcopy, bought from the RYA on Monday.

Coastal is fairly involved and includes a hefty practical exam.

Offshore (150NM from harbour) is a 12h exam incl. practical - it's very involved.

Ocean is an add on, a short theory exam 1-3h to prove you can do Astro and a couple of other things.

Apparently the Coastal and Offshore prerequisites only include radio and first aid certificates - so you don't technically need to do a long course and the Coastal exam if you want offshore - you just really need to know your sh*t and have a crap tonne of sea miles for offshore, incl. night passage and skippering and out of sight of land stuff.

You don't need to do a formal training course as far as I can work out. But you will be tested on anything and everything, So it's a good idea to do an exam preparation course (1-2 days). The RYA are of course a training provider, so they want to have you do every course - but it's not mandatory.

If you have your own boat, getting the miles is easier. Many people I know are doing the Yachtmaster but they don't have their own boat, so they struggle to get the miles. For me, most of my NZ sailing doesn't count because it was over 10y ago. 

There a number of qualifications in NZ,unfortunately to be recognized internationally a qualification has to comply with STCW.

Below is one

https://www.maritimenz.govt.nz/commercial/certification/masters-and-deck/master-yacht.asp

"With this certificate, you can perform the functions and duties of master on a superyacht of less than 3000 gross tonnage (GT) in any operating area. A superyacht is a commercial yacht or sail training vessel that is 24 metres or more in length, less than 3000GT and does not carry cargo or more than 12 passengers.

This is the highest-level command certificate for superyachts. To command any other type of vessel you must obtain the appropriate certificate."

A course in NZ for the above

https://www.manukau.ac.nz/study/areas-of-study/maritime/domestic-maritime/chief-mate-yachtmaster-yacht

There are a few companies I know that deliver small vessels around the world, they only employee people with STCW tickets, some of the skippers have tickets for under3000GT but a couple have

That is the issue Rigger, STCW. The RYA Offshore or Ocean can be commercially endorsed with STCW, by the MCA, UK's maritime national body. Despite maritime nz saying on their website that they will accept stcw certs from the UK, they wont accept this one as its issued by RYA, and only endorsed by the MCA.

That is the issue Rigger, STCW. The RYA Offshore or Ocean can be commercially endorsed with STCW, by the MCA, UK's maritime national body. Despite maritime nz saying on their website that they will accept stcw certs from the UK, they wont accept this one as its issued by RYA, and only endorsed by the MCA.

RYA issues the CoC which is not an accredited STCW qualification, the STCW endorsement covers the ancillary components that are required for an STCW accredited qualification / CoC to be valid, in other words the RYA qualification is not an STCW cert or CoC, so how can MNZ recognize it as an STCW cert?

I know they accept UK STCW ancillaries for NZ foreign going STCW qualifications.

Simply put The RYA qualification / certificate is not an STCW Cert, it has been endorsed (STCW code A-V1/1 Para 2.1.) to say that the holder has the following:

"Basic training

2 Seafarers employed or engaged in any capacity on board ship on the business of that ship as part of the ship's complement with designated safety or pollution prevention duties in the operation of the ship shall, before being assigned to any shipboard duties:

.1 receive appropriate approved basic training or instruction in:

.1.1 personal survival techniques as set out in table A-VI/1-1,

.1.2 fire prevention and fire-fighting as set out in table A-VI/1-2,

.1.3 elementary first-aid as set out in table A-VI/1-3, and

.1.4 personal safety and social responsibilities as set out in table A-VI/1-4."

The RYA website says:

"Non British flagged vessels

If you are working on board a non-British boat, your RYA certificates are likely to be acceptable but you will need to comply with the rules of the flag state"

Likely? they could have a list of countries.

If you have an RYA Cert that is commercially endorsed with the STCW Basics, and you want to convert to an NZ CoC, there might be a way, I'm not talking recognition by MNZ by the way.

Apologies for the wordiness

Yep, that's it, and the answer is currently no for NZ, except as credit or prerequisite for master yacht under 24m.

Yep, I have (will have shortly) the rya cert with the stcw commercial endorsement.

If you know of a way to cross credit this towards a NZ cert I'd be interested. I've been offered some work here in nz, but it means srl level nz acceptance.