Westhaven Marina Berth Rental Rates

At what point do.the marina operators have a mandate to remive the zombie boats?

Never mind mussel farms there are a heap of fan worm farms about,

And despite the increasing prices there are still significant numbers of very neglected boats preventing others from entering the marina. Given they now have a waiting list is it time to find a mechanism to help people into berths?

Generally there is a requirement to keep the boat in a 'seaworthy condition', and to have current insurance. If you don't meet both, you can get booted.

The 'seaworthy' bit is a gold mine for lawyers though. Said boat may not be seaworth to go to the islands, but it is probably perfectly capable of going out to just off the tank farm for a fish or a cup of tea and back (which may be all the owner uses it for). Its far easier for the marina to chuck in the clause "in our opinion" for seaworthiness.

And with the insurance, if it's renewed annually and the boat doesn't change hands, they will be issued with an annual certificate. Its highly likely the insurance would be void in the event of a claim, due to the condition of the boat, but that doesn't actually matter, the marina agreement only requires insurance to be in place (not to pay out in the event of a claim)...

I wouldn't get too down on all of these ghost boats. They are often someones dream, that they intend to return to. Life has gotten in the way, usually illness of some sort. If you've got cancer, do you care about the antifoul? Either that or the poor owners are working so hard to pay for the marina fees, they don't get time to use the boat...

That, and the complete lack of options for dealing with end of life boats.

One of the " Crew" member here had his Boat in Westhaven and it was in need of a good clean and antifoul. It didn't think it was horrific, but yes it was due for a Birthday. He was told to get it done or get out. I thought that was really rude or the Marina.

One of the " Crew" member here had his Boat in Westhaven and it was in need of a good clean and antifoul. It didn't think it was horrific, but yes it was due for a Birthday. He was told to get it done or get out. I thought that was really rude or the Marina.

That's interesting. I wonder if their ability to do that is altered by whether the berth holder owns a lease or rents by the month? I suspect it would be very difficult for them to do that to a long term lease holder.

Just picked up Dr.W response to my post last page. 2 points. First....National / Labour/boats not much difference and was having a crack at current Guvmit because they are continuing the attack. 2nd.point I'm not even an alley cat let alone a fat cat.One of the soon to be ex boat owners who succumbed to the financial onslaught. Interesting cruising at Xmas If your boat was under 40 ft you were in the minority. Few 930's 88's H28's Chilly Bins Piedy's whereas a few years ago they were everywhere.Same with launches.

Just picked up Dr.W response to my post last page. 2 points. First....National / Labour/boats not much difference and was having a crack at current Guvmit because they are continuing the attack. 2nd.point I'm not even an alley cat let alone a fat cat.One of the soon to be ex boat owners who succumbed to the financial onslaught. Interesting cruising at Xmas If your boat was under 40 ft you were in the minority. Few 930's 88's H28's Chilly Bins Piedy's whereas a few years ago they were everywhere.Same with launches.

Was in Parapara Bay at the Mercs recently and there were 3 Lotus 9.2s, a Nova, Davidson 35 and a Riva. Very unusual and all Kiwi designs. Pleasing to see.

I don't count the Riva.

• Upvote 1

Fresh in from the w/h team, what's with the bottom line?  Are they going to ticket you if you don't use the car with the correct rego?  Sounds like an administration nightmare.

Don’t miss out on the Westhaven Marina annual parking permits!

Please check your postal address below to ensure that we send your 2019/20 parking permit(s) to the correct address.

The new parking permit(s) will be sent during the month of June.

Let us know if you would prefer to pick up your parking permit(s) from the Marina Office and we will contact you in June.

We are also collecting customer’s car REGO numbers for future parking solutions.

Reading the email and also being Irish are Westhaven requesting vehicle rego numbers and drivers license details.

If so what on earth for.

Crikey next they will be asking for a seaman sample.

The present system from our perspective does not need alteration and given the cheapening quality of the issued parking permits you can see the bean counters have been at play.

The Car Regos is for a system which can recognise them so if you lodge yours with them all you have to do is drive to you boat then drive home, no pissing around with permits, tickets and crap like that.

thanks KM, that sounds good and I shall return my rego numbers accordingly.

Leaves me wondering why they don't put relevant tidbits like that in the emails they send out though...

prang car friday morning,go to marina late friday night in rental car,office closed then what??wait for towies bill?

your car wont start so jump in crews car running late for start??,

prang car friday morning,go to marina late friday night in rental car,office closed then what??wait for towies bill?

your car wont start so jump in crews car running late for start??,

Park in the white spaces, no time limit at the weekends

The Car Regos is for a system which can recognise them so if you lodge yours with them all you have to do is drive to you boat then drive home, no pissing around with permits, tickets and crap like that.

The NRYCWG is working on this with Panuku/Westhaven to try and get a clean simple system we all can use with minimum bollox.

One system and one of the best, of many close but not quite, options is automatic license plate recognition. It is used in other marinas as I write this, Bayswater being the closest.

The risk of not doing anything is the carparks get filled with CBD workers, which is a very real and current issue, and another is having those f**king cowardly scum arsehole from Wilson parking roving the car parks almost identically to what rapists do when looking for a victim.

Open to suggestions if you have any. Do remember there is a very self interested money hungry

bureaucracy that will have to OK whatever happens. 

What if I rent from a berth owner?  Currently he gives me the spare ticket and I just put it on my dash board.  Will he need my rego now too to provide to the marina?

What if my usual car is in for service or repairs, and I use another car.  Currently I would just swap over the car park ticket to the other car, and drive to the marina.  Will i have to phone the marina office first and give them the replacement car rego. What if its after hours? 

Sorry, this rego idea is a bunch of crap.  If you display your car park permit, then you park in the yellow or white lines as is the case now- end of story.  Too many variables can go wrong if they start towing vehicles that have a ticket displayed but the rego doesn't "match" their computer system.  And anyway, my car rego number is my bloody business - why should the Marina know my personal rego number?  

Crazy idea.

• Upvote 2

What if I rent from a berth owner?  Currently he gives me the spare ticket and I just put it on my dash board.  Will he need my rego now too to provide to the marina?

What if my usual car is in for service or repairs, and I use another car.  Currently I would just swap over the car park ticket to the other car, and drive to the marina.  Will i have to phone the marina office first and give them the replacement car rego. What if its after hours? 

Sorry, this rego idea is a bunch of crap.  If you display your car park permit, then you park in the yellow or white lines as is the case now- end of story.  Too many variables can go wrong if they start towing vehicles that have a ticket displayed but the rego doesn't "match" their computer system.  And anyway, my car rego number is my bloody business - why should the Marina know my personal rego number?  

Crazy idea.

Bloody right there Zozza.

Crikey imagine the berth rent hikes to offset the AI plate recognition technology and subsequent enforcement compliance costs.

Too damned big brother for my thinking.

The swipe barrier would be hard to implement given the shared layout of yellow and white areas.

Bloody right there Zozza.

Crikey imagine the berth rent hikes to offset the AI plate recognition technology and subsequent enforcement compliance costs.

Too damned big brother for my thinking.

The swipe barrier would be hard to implement given the shared layout of yellow and white areas.

No public parking in westhaven berth holders only, public parking  to the west of the AK harbour bridge??

The NRYCWG is working on this with Panuku/Westhaven to try and get a clean simple system we all can use with minimum bollox.

you mean like a simple bit of paper I put on my dash? Its not broken, leave it well alone!

• Upvote 1