Steve

Steaming Lights

Capture.PNG

So the way I read this, yachts under 12 metres don't need a dedicated steaming light.

An anchor light with red and green on the bow will suffice when motoring.

Its just that I once got pulled up during a cat 3 inspection for not having the steaming light working. 

And who wants all that extra weight aloft anyway if you don't need it.

Yes provided that it visible for from memory 2nm ?

Most old incandescent bulbs wouldn’t have complied but the latest LED would

The part that catches you out is where you have a tri light you can’t use your anchor light as a steaming light as you don’t have enough separation

Yes provided that it visible for from memory 2nm ?

Most old incandescent bulbs wouldn’t have complied but the latest LED would

The part that catches you out is where you have a tri light you can’t use your anchor light as a steaming light as you don’t have enough separation

Yes, I can see anchor lights 6 miles away from our place, so I guess we have that covered. And the steaming light has failed again so I might as well just remove it. Never used the foredeck light anyway. Then bung on the bow lights and we’re legal. Don’t look forward to the debate with the inspector though. I’m getting a wireless tri lite and a wireless wind transducer so there’s a lot of wiring to come out of the mast. Starting to wonder about the VHF aerial now. Edited by Steve

Well thats bloody confusing,no difference whether sailing or motoring??

HaHa read the small print,If motoring refer to power boat rules!!

Couldnt see why they would do away with a forward facing white motoring light.

Practical Sailor(?) going on about the vertical component, that I think we all fail.

Yes, I read that. Looks like we all need to check. They mentioned standing 100’ from the mast and if you can see the trilite you’re ok. If you have to step back further to see it, then the light isn’t shining through the vertical plane correctly and you may not be seen if you’re heeling away from an observer. Depends on the height of the mast I guess but it’s worth checking it out.

Well thats bloody confusing,no difference whether sailing or motoring??HaHa read the small print,If motoring refer to power boat rules!!Couldnt see why they would do away with a forward facing white motoring light.

Yes there is a major difference, when sailing a yacht of 12m or less you need port, starboard and stern

When motoring you need port starboard and all around white above.

You never show a white forward facing light when sailing, if you do as I often see yachts doing racing to light up their windex usually, they have no rights as a sailing vessel and need to giveaway or stand on as if they were motoring eg give way to all sailing vessels

Hope I'm not hijacking the thread? Twice now have come across vessels displaying RED lights as anchor lights. One anchored beside us ("Camilla"? A large old carvel planked launch) who didn't turn it off and steamed away from us with a red light on their coms mast that could be seen from almost all angles. She had port and starboard lit but could be confusing?

Mast head led anchor lights are also possibly confusing as the white blends well with stars and street lights in town. We have extra solar lighting lower down but have seen strobing (flashing) anchor lights too which I thought was restricted to navigation markers?