Non Skid deck

I know that this topic has been done, done again and then done over, but I can't find anything on this particular point:

Pork Chop has a precariously sloping foredeck (Elliot 10.5) and I find Kiwigrip too slippery.  We've experimented with sandy type paints, but they wear fairly quickly.

I'm about to look at TredGrip but I saw RanTan in Tauranga this morning and see that her cockpit has a cool bespoke matting of some sort (sorry, no photo, but it is really cool).  It got me wondering whether we should put some non slip type matting on the foredeck and perhaps in our cockpit too.

Does anyone have any experience with this?  If so, what sort, where from and most importantly, how to affix to the deck.

Ta

I went and took some photos:

These from Ran Tan 2:

IMG_1888.JPG

I really like the embossed name and the numbering on the traveller.

IMG_1886.JPG

This from a big cruiser nearby:

IMG_1891.JPG

This is the sloping foredeck on Pork Chop.  It's hazardous enough in the marina without adding chop and the big kite:

IMG_1904.JPG

Cheers KA.

I’m not sure from your post if you’re saying you do the can get a quote or if I go to the supplier.

I’ve sent a request off and will post the outcome when more info to hand.

Cheers KA.

I’m not sure from your post if you’re saying you do the can get a quote or if I go to the supplier.

I’ve sent a request off and will post the outcome when more info to hand.

Best to go direct, you need to speak to a guy called Adam Wickes and he does all the custom stuff.

He will come and pattern your boat, send patterns away then it gets drawn up and cut on a router.

Call KM. CRA stocks it and it is not to horrific in cost. The Paint type stuff is cheapest though. Tred Grip is what I used and it has lasted many years now. Deck Grip I found too hard and thus the pointy bits too uncomfortable to knell or lye on. Even bare feet needed a bit of hardening up before it was OK to walk on.

Carbon 10.5 main would be more than 5k...

I've used what appears to be the cheap Chinese version of the ultralon foam. From eBay in asia. Way way cheaper - forget the exact price but think it was ballpark usd100 for a 2.4x1.2m piece. Simple enough to install and nice under foot and a couple of years in it seems to be lasting ok. But you don't get the option of it being nicely routed out crossways at the front and back to fit the space or customised words in it etc. You buy a sheet of it with lines routed in teak style spacing and that's what you get.

But it's grippy, comfy, easy to clean, nice and light. I'd use it again.

Yes. But a nice carbon main would be better.

I’d go for the mainsail.

Kiwigrip on mine- definitely treacherous up front.

I just did a full deck repaint and coated the kiwigrip on thin but re- rolled it quite aggressively. Theory being it will wear quick and i’ll just need to recoat it every year or so which will only take an hour or two.

I’ve seen that EVA stuff look awful on some boats and bloody hard to remove.

Carbon 10.5 main would be more than 5k...

I've used what appears to be the cheap Chinese version of the ultralon foam. From eBay in asia. Way way cheaper - forget the exact price but think it was ballpark usd100 for a 2.4x1.2m piece. Simple enough to install and nice under foot and a couple of years in it seems to be lasting ok. But you don't get the option of it being nicely routed out crossways at the front and back to fit the space or customised words in it etc. You buy a sheet of it with lines routed in teak style spacing and that's what you get.

But it's grippy, comfy, easy to clean, nice and light. I'd use it again.

Thanks Raz.

I know a main will be more. Much more. Way much more.

I’ll look up the stuff you mention.

This stuff is $130 per 2.4m sheet. So I’ll go and have a look.

https://www.nzrubberandfoam.co.nz/shop/marine-products/marine-deck-matting-diamond-beige/