2 blade folding prop had its day

For the last little while only 1 blade has been coming out and have had to blip the throttle to get the other one out. But few days ago it wouldn’t come out even after a couple of rev sessions. In the end stuck it in reverse and then forward and all ok. I think the vibration did some damage to the shaft strut as leaking a bit now. The lesson as always is lack of proactive maintenance will always come back to bite you on the bum. Need another prop, geared folding 2 blade should do the trick. Yanmah 25mm shaft. Existing is 13.5x9 LH , handbook says 13x8.5 and previous paperwork mentions 14x8 so some wriggle room. Anyone got anything or know likely prospects? Thanks

Why do you need a new one though. Surely a clean and lube should sort it.
Also, unless you have a continuation of vibration even with the prop blades out, the shaft should be OK. If the gland is just a stuffing type, simply tighten up the gland a tad.

Razz88. Sail drive quite different. A spline rather than taper.

Wheels. The blades are as sloppy as. It would need a new pin, rebushed and machined blades etc. could be done but also times a problem as no facilities here other than putting down on the boat ramp between tides. I think the shaft, stern tube and gland are ok. It’s the oddball setup where the shafts off the centre line off the boat and has a seperate support strut , which is what took a beating.

3 blades would be cool. Unfortunately 380 or 15 inch will be to big I already have a clearance problem with rudder on full lock.

Bit the bullet and got a new one. Surprised they said a geared one is no more efficient than floppy so floppy it is. What’s the E 19 mean? Also with prop speed it says sand 80 grit so does that mean sand of that nice polished surface?. Do you propspeed the shaft anode?

3BBCAEF0-7860-43E2-AFD5-0AB09A9BC7E5.jpeg

49971721-A02F-4566-AC32-9A329421FB48.jpeg

That is a Bri Ski Prop and I thought they went out of business years ago ? I found the geared unit was better in reverse, its a Briski on my saildrive and it has given good service.

Prop speed the shaft, but not the anode - it won’t work of covered in prop speed.

To make the prop speed stick, you need to key the surface, ie. make it rough by sanding the surface, which will be bad news for the nice shiny surface.

Neil C . How simple, I could have thought of that!

Matte . Interesting about the anode. Hopefully the mussels will get spun off! Yes the gloss is going.

I've just got a new [ well old!] boat - another Lotus 9.2, The old one was written off in the

last Auckland storm. However, this boat has a Yanmar saildrive, [ SD20] with a Briski

geared 2-blade folding prop. The propwalk is huge! The boat will NOT go to port in

reverse no matter what I do.

The last boat had a shaft drive, and I fitted a kiwiprop- just a little propwalk and it worked

well. So - hull shape etc is the same, but the boat is really difficult to manoeuvre in reverse.

Anyone else with this problem? Any solutions? - apart from lashing out and buying a new prop?

-or - is it the saildrive - do they all have propwalk.

Thanks for the replies. I've tried to contact Briski, but no reply.

Had some more practice today and some improvement in my skill,

but what certainly doesn't help is the fact that when you hit

reverse,  nothing happens, unless you hit at least 2500 revs.

I guess that's the problem with folders against feathering, the trailing

edge becomes the leading edge, which is not very efficient.

Might be back to kiwiprop, which is what I had on the last 9.2