Cruise NZ

Back in 2012 I crewed for Jon Henry in the SSANZ around NZ race. Down the west coast of the North Island we hit some not so pleasant weather and along with two other competitors we ended up sheltering in Golden Bay at the top of the South Island for a couple of days when we thought the worst of it was over we rejoined the race only to find that the sea state was a pain and we had a problem with one of the jib sheets so we headed into the fiords to find calm water of sort out the problem. Two hours later we were back in the race with wind on the nose

and the swell from a completely different direction. when we tacked over later in the afternoon the sea was still very uncomfortable and as we figured we were well of the pace now we headed for another fiord were ( with the wind hitting 50 kts ) we anchored up for a very peaceful night.

O.K finishing with the old story now what all this is leading to is I would love to do a more leisurely cruise through fiordland and everyone I have talked to about sharing my dream has expanded it into a cruise around NZ.

SO  anyone interested in joining us next summer?   

When I was talking to him about it the other day the idea was a cruise in company, not all going together just contacts of boats wanting to sail clockwise around NZ ?

Thinking that you would probably all catchup at some point along the line but probably not all at once.

Each would decide their own departures but try to have some key dates that you may be say in Golden Bay, Fiordland, Stewart Is etc.

Lots of us talk about doing this type of thing but very few do and if there was a group of say 6 boats with the same or similar plan then the collective knowledge can possibly make it happen.

We're looking to do this from early December, and taking a leisurely 6 months over it, but going up the East and down the West coasts. Starting from Dunedin, and aiming to be back down in Fiordland/Stewart Island for the more settled period of March - April. Paths could cross......

6 months is more than I could hope to get away with, but working on being in the Fiords in March would work for me. As Jon said the main thing for me is to know that there will be other cruising boats around. 

As I said at the start of this the fiords are my main interest and after getting a copy of the book Beneath the Reflections produced by Fiordland Marine Guardians my enthusiasm to explore this part of New Zealand has increased to the point where I am sure I can make it happen.   

I sailed down there 2 years ago it's well worth the effort,I read somewhere you now need some sort of certificate to say your antifouling is up to date or something now cant remember where I saw it.Bollocks really when you see how many cruise ships pass through.Put the trip on your bucket list though only saw 2 other yachts while we were down there.

6 months is more than I could hope to get away with, but working on being in the Fiords in March would work for me. As Jon said the main thing for me is to know that there will be other cruising boats around. 

As I said at the start of this the fiords are my main interest and after getting a copy of the book Beneath the Reflections produced by Fiordland Marine Guardians my enthusiasm to explore this part of New Zealand has increased to the point where I am sure I can make it happen.   

Some interesting videos of a guy who did the South Island a couple of years ago on a Lotus 9.2. Google Taranto.

I sailed down there 2 years ago it's well worth the effort,I read somewhere you now need some sort of certificate to say your antifouling is up to date or something now cant remember where I saw it.Bollocks really when you see how many cruise ships pass through.Put the trip on your bucket list though only saw 2 other yachts while we were down there.

You need to make a declaration (I think you do it on-line) that your hull is clean before you get into the fiords, and are liable to be inspected - don't ask me where or how. It's probably on the Environment Southland web site somewhere. As you say though, look at the number of cruise ships and fishing boats around down there.

Why is it dumb?

Both cruise ships and fishing vessels undergo the same controls and are inspected by divers.

I can understand that you are not aware of the controls and checks in place. Perhaps an email to those organisations running the system outlining how they may advertise and/or post on such sites as crew.org may be more appropriate.

As with lots of things you can be part of the problem, or part of the solution. The choice is always yours.

I like to try and help or coast free from pests and invasive species. Cleaning the boat is a base level option but not base enough for some unfortunately.

• Upvote 1

Just checked the Environment Southland website. Seems very straightforward, and not really anything you wouldn't be doing to make sure you aren't losing boat speed anyway. The pass lasts for a year, is free of charge, sounds a bit as if it is as much of an exercise in ensuring that folk going into the area are aware and have thought about pests etc as it is about enforcement.

Would love to know when the cruise ships are checked most of them come straight from Auckland circle the sounds then head straight back.The divers would have to swim at 20 knots.Sure they sign a declaration.Cruising boats are no threat as you say you would be mad to head down there with a dirty hull.

There are many ways of complying with the requirement, see here, https://www.mpi.govt.nz/importing/border-clearance/vessels/arrival-process-steps/biofouling/biofouling-management/

Cruise ships actually tend to cruise the whole NZ coast rather than just go from Auckland, cruise the sounds and then go back. Dive inspections may be carried out at many ports. They are undertaken at Lyttelton and Bluff, while the ship is berthed, which saves swimming at 20 knots. I have worked on the vessels and dive inspection is a normal practice.

Like many things in life 'stuff' does happen that isn't seen or known about by everyone.

• Upvote 1

Interesting that everyone seems to agree it is what we would all do as a reasonable mariner yet some seem tom take offence at an organisation trying to demonstarte the additional benefits (less weed being spread around) and raising awareness across a greater field of people. Nowt stranger than folk.

We did that trip 5 years ago over Feb/March, was a fantastic trip over 2.5 months. Did it anticlockwise with absolutely no time pressures, just waited for weather windows so no dramas. Highlights were Kaipara (just been back there for a month and a half), New Plymouth, Westport, Jackson Bay, Milford, Doubtful Sound, Preservation and many other of the Fiords and a particular highlight was Port Pegasus on Stewart island along with many other anchorages on the east cost of Stewart Island. Also called at Dunedin and Akaroa then non stop home to Ak over 4 days in a really good Soueasterly. Need good insect screens for fiordland and a couple of long stern lines to tie ashore. Most of the time  we did not need a really long anchor chain (we have 55m) . We have a 20kg Rocna on 12m boat and it performed really well even in big blows. Most anchorages in Fordland we saw no one so you do need to be pretty well self sufficient. For our last trip to Kaipara we bought a little Garmin Inreach mini from Fishcity, an excellent bit of kit. Works inside the boat through a glass window and enables tracking and texting via bluetooth to your phone via the Iridium network. Would also be useful back up to epirb in an emergency, Didn't try it for weather.

Inreach enables texting via bluetooth on your phone to anyone anywhere and vice versa. Also in an emergency you can push the emergency button and communicate with your rescuers the nature of your emergency and the type of assistance you require. They are able to tell you when and how they can assist. It is a useful backup to epirb. Being so small and light and with a rechareable battery it has many uses eg in a dinghy, climbing tramping or cycling. The monthly cost is a drawback but there are several plans and you can stop and start the subscription and change plans at any time. Tracking interval can also be altered at will. We did not need the mapping so opted for the Mini. I guess if if you want to use it for tramping the more expensive options might be worth considering.

https://explore.garmin.com/en-NZ/inreach/