Cruise NZ

Photo attached shows a vessel at Waikawa that brought fan worm from Auckland. Interesting that most of the antifouling looks fine with only keel bottow fouled. I would be surprised if the keel bottom was not antifouled on what looks like a racing boat? Certainly hard to see this fouling from the dock/deck.

Yacht Waikawa 6 May 2019 - Fan Worm .jpg

a couple of spots one could lie alongside however there is a "no cleaning/antifouling" rule for those by the facility owner. Other options are a beach if you can dry out, diving and in water clean, or the commercial slipway or Naval Point or Akaraoa Yacht Club haul out. Limited options for low cost.

We tend to clean in water by diving and haul every 2 years. Works ok but have to dive more frequently in second year. We are also in an area with most invasive weeds already present so we have to be carefull when leaving to go somewhere else.

I did love the grid at Smokehouse when we lived in Auckland.

I think there are two separate issues here:

1) not antifouling the keel foot - this is very hard to do and is probably a bigger issue than people realise. This is a soft target for regional councils etc, the first place dive inspectors look is under the keel.

2) The banning of cleaning of boats in the water, and removal of any options to clean your boat (piles etc) other than by commercial operators, along with removing any useful ingredients from antifouling, as per KM's post above. This is so illogical it beggars belief. If regional councils are serious about stopping the spread of these invasive speicies, they should be installing piles all over the place, to encourage the quick, cheap and effective cleaning of boats. To rely on commercial operators does not work. Pre Christmas you can't get a booking. And due to the cost, people put it off as long as possible.

If Regional Councils actually facilitated and encouraged the use of piles for cleaning, owners would be fair more regularly cleaning hulls. This utter nonsense that marine fouling, that comes from the water, can't be allowed to go into the water - it is beyond logic.

For the already infested areas, Regional Councils should scrap the completely pointless dive inspections, and put the $$$ into building piles. Then boaties can quickly and effectively clean their boats, before sailing to other areas. Simple, easy and logical... lets see if the RC's can get their head around that.

• Upvote 3

a couple of spots one could lie alongside however there is a "no cleaning/antifouling" rule for those by the facility owner. Other options are a beach if you can dry out, diving and in water clean, or the commercial slipway or Naval Point or Akaraoa Yacht Club haul out. Limited options for low cost.

We tend to clean in water by diving and haul every 2 years. Works ok but have to dive more frequently in second year. We are also in an area with most invasive weeds already present so we have to be carefull when leaving to go somewhere else.

I did love the grid at Smokehouse when we lived in Auckland.

There is now a large sign at Smokehouse with no scrubbing / antifouling to be done while on the piles, only prop changes / repairs etc. That being said a shitload of upgrades to the amenities have been done, ( I believe by the Milford Yacht club) without changing the character of the place.

There is now a large sign at Smokehouse with no scrubbing / antifouling to be done while on the piles, only prop changes / repairs etc. That being said a shitload of upgrades to the amenities have been done, ( I believe by the Milford Yacht club) without changing the character of the place.

Ah the joys. I couldn't realy see any issues as long as you pop down some drop sheets (think cheapy blue tarps from the warehouse). A great spot smokehouse. One day I will visit again and hopefully enjoy some grander pleasures of the bay, but not clean my boat of course.

In Nelson some of us head over to the Abel Tasman to dive and clean our boats.The council here owns the travel lift,if common sense was involved they would give all of us the berth holders 2 free lift and water blasts per year.Thus keeping the AT park clean.Cost them sfa.

Do you really think anyone is going to put Capital into a travelift plus associated breastworks, hardstand, resource consent lodgement and compliance, waste removal, health and safety, environmental management etc for you to have two free haulouts a year?...so you can avoid going scrubbing yor boat clean in NZ's foremost Coastal National Park? What am I missing?

• Upvote 1

Fark ! Look for fan worm in Abel Tasman soon and don’t blame the frickin ships for that one

Considering that fan worm (Med variety) arrived in NZ in around 2008 / 2010 + - in Lyttleton, I would imagine it has established itself in various pockets between there and here while on its way to Auckland, Marsden cove, Whangarei, B.o.I. Whangaroa etc. etc. I'm sure it is not fussy how it travels, yachts, ships, currents, cruise liners. Given it is called Mediteranian Fan Worm, you would think its territory must stretch from here to there, eh. I can't think of anything that we (MPI and their predecessors, operating on our behalf) have successfully eradicated. I note that fruitfly No. 7 or is it 8 has deigned to enter a pheromone trap on the north shore. Micoplasma bovis, 1.000.000 animals slaughtered so far, hmmmm., I don't think so. Mancunian rye grass, Koi Carp, human beings, red back spiders____________________________etc. etc.

• Upvote 1

They already have all that infrastructure.

What you are missing is now much they charge the likes of Wild Violet down there, it is beyond nasty and well into the 'brutal' area. Basically they have a monopoly and are abusing it to charge well over the top. For a tiny fraction of their super normal profits they could cover the cost of Violets suggestion. It would be a win for the boater, a win for the environment, a win for the authority claiming to be concerned about the environment and a win for common sense. The hassle of course if most Authorities like that are totaly devoid of anyone who has even the slightest concept of what common sense actually is.

Okay KM I'll bite. Somewhere else you said you enjoyed numbers

So hypothetically you are a haul-out yard owner and own an expensive travel lift which requires competent skilled operators to operate efficiently and safely... you also own or lease a suitable hardstand and have acquired the necessary consents to permit the safe disposal of various concentrated heavy metals that may be present in antifouling coatings and potential nasty invasive critters, which are washed off in your yard and are your responsibility to dispose of safely and in accordance with the law. 

Because you are such a Good B%%&*&  we won't even worry about the cost of the yard, any consent compliance costs, staff training, PPE  and the like.

What is your travel lift worth and what is a suitable ROI on an hourly basis given its likely annual use?

How many lifts do you do a year? How many free lifts do you do a year?

What about scheduled maintenance on your travel lift?

What does that cost?

Do you have any finance on your travel lift?

How much is your public liability insurance?

What is your hourly rate that you charge your labour unit and the travel lift out at?  Can you afford to give two free haul-outs away to very boat owner free given your fixed costs? 

P.S What does it cost for a lift n hold n wash in ALK? for a 30ft Garden Ornament or similar?  Don't disagree that authorities could somehow incentivise recreational  boaters to keep their boats in good order but for free, really?

operate safely

the necessary consents

permit the safe disposal of various concentrated heavy metals that may be present in antifouling coatings

potential nasty invasive critters

your responsibility to dispose of safely and in accordance with the law. 

consent compliance costs

staff training

PPE 

scheduled maintenance

finance

public liability insurance

Stop. The thought of all this compliance related activity is getting me hard.