Hot Shot

Cruise NZ

Inreach enables texting via bluetooth on your phone to anyone anywhere and vice versa. Also in an emergency you can push the emergency button and communicate with your rescuers the nature of your emergency and the type of assistance you require. They are able to tell you when and how they can assist. It is a useful backup to epirb. Being so small and light and with a rechareable battery it has many uses eg in a dinghy, climbing tramping or cycling. The monthly cost is a drawback but there are several plans and you can stop and start the subscription and change plans at any time. Tracking interval can also be altered at will. We did not need the mapping so opted for the Mini. I guess if if you want to use it for tramping the more expensive options might be worth considering.

https://explore.garmin.com/en-NZ/inreach/

Photo attached shows a vessel at Waikawa that brought fan worm from Auckland. Interesting that most of the antifouling looks fine with only keel bottow fouled. I would be surprised if the keel bottom was not antifouled on what looks like a racing boat? Certainly hard to see this fouling from the dock/deck.

Yacht Waikawa 6 May 2019 - Fan Worm .jpg

Photo attached shows a vessel at Waikawa that brought fan worm from Auckland. Interesting that most of the antifouling looks fine with only keel bottow fouled. I would be surprised if the keel bottom was not antifouled on what looks like a racing boat? Certainly hard to see this fouling from the dock/deck.

That would be common and will become more common as Councils and regional Authorities make it hard and hard to clean our boats.

Not long ago Auckland had a sh*t load of options from DIY piles at $0 through to full on yards like Orams at $gazzillion. Now after the moronic happy clappy twats in the councils and regional authorities have decided seaweed is killing the oceans and other totally illogical, and often unsupportable bullshit, they have taken away 95% of those cleaning options. If the council thinks I'm going to pay $500 just to get a boat out ready to anti-foul they are sadly deluded. I will do what I can in the water and that will be that.

So quite frankly the councils and Authorities have brought this upon themselves. It would be nice if they grew a pair and owned their own decisions rather than be cowardly wanks and try to lay the blame on those doing the best they can under totally bullshit situations. 

Elenya, how many no or bugger all cost options are there for the fleet to use in your area?

a couple of spots one could lie alongside however there is a "no cleaning/antifouling" rule for those by the facility owner. Other options are a beach if you can dry out, diving and in water clean, or the commercial slipway or Naval Point or Akaraoa Yacht Club haul out. Limited options for low cost.

We tend to clean in water by diving and haul every 2 years. Works ok but have to dive more frequently in second year. We are also in an area with most invasive weeds already present so we have to be carefull when leaving to go somewhere else.

I did love the grid at Smokehouse when we lived in Auckland.

I think there are two separate issues here:

1) not antifouling the keel foot - this is very hard to do and is probably a bigger issue than people realise. This is a soft target for regional councils etc, the first place dive inspectors look is under the keel.

2) The banning of cleaning of boats in the water, and removal of any options to clean your boat (piles etc) other than by commercial operators, along with removing any useful ingredients from antifouling, as per KM's post above. This is so illogical it beggars belief. If regional councils are serious about stopping the spread of these invasive speicies, they should be installing piles all over the place, to encourage the quick, cheap and effective cleaning of boats. To rely on commercial operators does not work. Pre Christmas you can't get a booking. And due to the cost, people put it off as long as possible.

If Regional Councils actually facilitated and encouraged the use of piles for cleaning, owners would be fair more regularly cleaning hulls. This utter nonsense that marine fouling, that comes from the water, can't be allowed to go into the water - it is beyond logic.

For the already infested areas, Regional Councils should scrap the completely pointless dive inspections, and put the $$$ into building piles. Then boaties can quickly and effectively clean their boats, before sailing to other areas. Simple, easy and logical... lets see if the RC's can get their head around that.