Knot Me... maybe

Auckland Navigational By-law review

One is on at the moment.

As usual it appears someone has trawled though all the Council staff records to find someone who has the least amount of marine knowledge and gets sea sick when given a cup of tea, to do the review. I could be wrong but from the bits that have popped up so far I'm thinking I'm right.

Like the guy they got to do the Marina Strategy. When asked 'what do you know about marinas?' he replied 'Not a thing'. Good on him for being so honest though, especialy so when it was in a full council meeting. We won that battle, or won a reprieve, and a group who are marina users and the council are now going to ALL get together and come up with a strategy that is the best for all users/owners/operator in all marinas, or at least the best compromise.

Anyway of you see anything about the Navigational Review please take a minute or 2 to have a suss of it to make sure all stupidity is weeded out prior to it comes into force.

Already multiple emails from people who actually know how things work asking nicely for the council not to allow anchoring inside Westhaven. That may sound a bit Meh!! but it won't after you have seen the proposed new extensions and fingers down the eastern side. In places the gaps are getting pretty small, frecking tiny if you are in anything super like.

They are even talking dredging St Marys Bay to make anchoring easier which is means 'possible' as you can't at the moment, too shallow. While a worthy plan and dredging I'd like to see happen no way can it become open to anchoring. It is a busy bit of water and one that many who currently use it can't replace close or easily.

All geared around visiting superboats. I hope these big boats spend what the council reckons they will (but no one else does) or this will cost the ratepayers dearly.

Going to dredge St Marys Bay to access fill for the Marina extension.

Someone lodged a appeal to the consent to use the contaminated dredging from the AC base development.

Not surprising that the dredgings fail the toxicity test and are been trucked and dumped as landfill got to be betterer than chucking them in the sea off pristine Gt Barrier.

Someone should inform the Yanks and Brits that the sites they have been allotted will make them glow in the dark.

They use the dredging to make mudcrete which is then used as fill. That locks the nasties in concrete and stabilises the mud.

They used mudcrete to build the Viaduct basin and Ferguson wharf extension.

So if Team Emirates glows in the dark then yeap the teams pretending to be Yanks and Pomms should be concerned.

Not to sure about the stuff but it does appear to work, be stable and remove the need to dump into the ocean as you noted.

Went looking for the review on the bylaw webpage

https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/plans-projects-policies-reports-bylaws/bylaws/Pages/navigation-safety-bylaw.aspx

You should know

We are reviewing this bylaw to make sure it meets residents' needs, now and in the future.

We will ask your views as part of this process by providing a link from this page, and will let you know of the outcome when the review is finished.

So is it actually out for review yet? Must be as some of you are talking about it as if you've got access to something semi-legibe

It's on now. From what I've seen it's work in progress. I'll see what I more can suss.

I'd ask the Harbourmasters office but it's unlikely the Council would have them do it or probably even asked them.

I suspect someone's finally realised if they push all things maritime into a small corner of westhaven, inc ferries, sea planes, tugs, barges and the rest, so the harbour is empty for the 180 superboats coming for the AC (Insert Tui Advert), there will be f**king total chaos.

Yes it may do Muz.

Seems a bit weird in a place this small to have 2 mobs sussing pretty much the same thing.............. but then it is Auckland Council and we know how they often are the definition of the word 'dysfunctional'.

Got a link to the start of the survey or what did they ask?

After Goffs, Darbys and a few others blatant LIEs about not stealing more harbour many are nervous they will try and sneek in dodgy and/or stupidity.

What a shame that with the creation of the Super Shitty also came so much distrust and the councils actions since have only grown that.