lateral

Outboard for 2.7 Al bottomed rib.

I've had a 15hp, too heavy but fun when you need to blat. Nightmare to stow.

I've had a 4hp (oldy) but its getting past its use by and is a little under powered.

Is modern 3.3hp too small? (Nice and light at 13kg.)

Seems 5hp is a good compromise  at 20kg.

Yeah.....I know, I know.... don't be a doris.

May as well go small. I have a 2.8 RIB. Big motor is a US mercury 15, 2 stroke, weight is either 32 or 36 kg, forget which. Planes with 3 adults. Can ski behind it.

Tried 4, 5, 6 and 8 hp, wouldn't plane with 2 people . So I got a 2.5 hp 4 stroke, 12kg with a full tank.

Mostly now just use the 2.5 unless going somewhere far away, or wish to tow water toys....

Doris

I’ve got a Nissan (Tohatsu) 5hp, 20kgs so easy to manage, plannes with two kids or one adult on a 3m rib

Once in a while if we have a long way to go it would be nice to have a 10 or 15 but the downside of handling it I think would way out way that occasion.

I've got a really low hours 3.3 merc 2 stroke for sale, only a few hours use but a couple of years old.

Happy to work out a good price?

Thanks for offer BK. I'm thinking 5hp at this stage.

I have a lightweight 2.7 rib, and 2 motors, an 8hp yamaha and a merc 3.3. the 8hp will happily plane the dinghy with 2 90kg adults. I use mine for the odd mission like setting a longline and the 8hp gives me the flexibility to get more places to do that.

I like the 8 and if i had to choose one or the other would pick that. But if the dinghy was heavier and it didn't plane with 2 adults then in practise it wouldn't really do anything that the 3.3 doesn't. 

So my advice is

5hp if you use the dinghy a lot on your own and your dinghy is light enough to perform with you in it.

8hp if you use the dinghy a lot with 2 people (and you have a light enough dinghy that it performs with 2 people in it)

a 2 or 3hp if you don't use it much outside boat hopping/short trips ashore