Ran Tan ll epirb activated

From Northland Radio

SV RAN TAN II has activated its EPIRB and transmitted DSC HF radio distress call at 30305 UTC.

Position 08 34.1N 127 59.9W

I was notified by another vessel in the Northern Pacific, and I contacted JRCC HONOLULU.

Distress related to KEEL FAILURE

https://www.yachtingnz.org.nz/news/ran-tan-ii-adventure-lifetime

1800nm to Hawaii

1400 to Mexico

1300 to Nuka Hiva

Couldn’t find a worse place possibly

I’ve heard that the keel has come loose, and the yacht is a loss, boats not far away and crew of 3 will be picked up

From Ran Tan ll Facebook page

Many thanks to everyone for your concerns and support.

It has been a busy afternoon.

Key points at this stage are that the crew is onboard Ran Tan, safe and fully trained and equipped to handle the situation. The weather in the area is relatively mild, and expected to remain that way for some time. The appropriate authorities are actively coordinating the next steps.

More when we can.

I assume they are on the leg between the Marquesas and LA?

"We are going to do it in several stages," he said. "Firstly, we will head for Tahiti, which should take about 10 to 11 days with three of us on board. Then a few more of the crew will turn up to do the Tahiti Pearl Regatta, which should be a bit of fun.

"Following that, we will sail up to Rangiroa Atoll and then onto the Marquesas Islands. Once we get there I am going to fly home but three of the crew will take her up to LA, a 2800 mile journey which should take them about three weeks, arriving sometime in the beginning of June.”

As all sailors know well, the weather plays a big part in planning these sorts of trips and best laid plans almost always come unstuck. Initially it looked like the weather would be unsuitable for departure on Saturday but he is now due to depart his Westhaven berth at noon on Saturday.

From Ran Tan racing Facebook page - 

An update on Ran Tan II.
At 0530 this morning the keel let go completely and disappeared into the deep blue Pacific ocean. Ran Tan is still upright and stable in the slight seas. Liferaft and dinghy launched. Boys just had a cold beer, crackers and cheese. Waiting patiently for their next ride, a 1000 ton Mexican tuna boat out of Ensenada. They are about 4 hours away.
Thank you so much for all the messages of support and encouragement.
Unfortunately it looks like a sad end to a very fine yacht.

From Ran Tan racing Facebook page - 

We have confirmation that the crew is now safely aboard the Mexican fishing boat!

We can't say enough about the Coast Guard and other agencies that made this rescue a success. Their professionalism, as well as the fantastic decision making and actions of the guys on board made this possible.

We are overwhelmed and so appreciative of the outpouring of support and wishes that have come our way in the last 24 hours.

The Ran Tan family stretches far and wide. We have all been so lucky to be part of the ride!

Looking forward to seeing the guys soon

I reckon if some of us were out there on the boat, we would understand why towing it somewhere wasn’t an option. For numerous reasons.

Massive shame to loose an awesome boat for a crew with big aspersions. Pleased the crew are safe.

But is the fridge safe?

31st May 2019 – 0248 hours
Sat Phone Message from a crew member
Big crack in keel. Not in raft yet. May get picked up by cargo vessel in 24 hours.

A note on the Ran Tan Racing Facebook Page, 5 hours earlier.
Hi all. Again, many thanks for the messages of support, thoughts and wishes. It has been an emotional journey dealing with these events, but I’m so impressed and thankful for the work that the Wellington Rescue Centre and the US Coastguard in Honolulu have put in on behalf of our team of three sailors out here. In the attached screen shot Ran Tan is the Pleasure vessel noted. They may be a long way from the nearest land but there are an amazing number of ships, yachts, boats, tugs etc out there also. US Coastguard will alert us when they are able to contact a suitable vessel to rendevous with Ran Tan. The boys have got the fridge ready to go, so at least they’ll have cold beers in the liferaft while they wait.