Lanolin available

I forgot to say this and another post just reminded me.
I sent a bunch of tubes of Lanolin up to KM at Chains Ropes and Anchors. It is a very thick grease that needs to be heated to apply. Contact KM if you want to purchase a tube.
For Mainlanders, I still have some tubes here in Marlborough, so PM me.
The tubes are the same size as you would use in a grease gun/caulking gun, but far to thick to pump out using either. It needs to be heated in very hot water to melt or soften.
I am looking into whether I can get more and if I can, will send some to IT to distribute.

Alan, Some years ago I bought a 20l drum of raw lanolin from a wool scourer in Hawkes bay, it was very reasonably priced. I put it into smaller containers and apply it with a finger, the warmth of the finger softens it as you apply it, I have used it on all SS fasteners & MS ones, + on the prop, I would get up to 3 months before it had thinned down enough for the barnacles to penetrate. Smells just like a wool shed!!

• Upvote 1

Care to send a tube over for me?

Just sent some 2 x 2kg manuka honey to Germany, postage to was NZ $120.00, so I think the postage would kill it. There must be wool scourers in Europe. Otherwise a tube from your friendly appotheke would work, smell nicer too.

Posting to Germany/Europe is stupid expensive. I expect KM will have well priced alternatives.

By the way, I am not posting much at the mo because my laptop keyboard is playing up. The A, B, N, and Enter key's stop working. If I give the Laptop a good wack, it all starts working for a few minutes and then starts dropping out those keys again. Very frustrating. I am suspecting a motherboard fault.
I suppose I should pull the thing apart and see if cleaning the keyboard ribbon connection helps or not.

sh*t, $33? that’s not as bad as I expected. And yeah, Switzerland is pretty small - That restaurant is only about 5km in a straight line from my house, lol. Good guess!

The customs people have a habit of mis calculating their add on fees though. They charged me 110 duty on the anchor I had posted from Aussie because they used 650usd as the value instead of A650 Dollars. Swiss competence..

My God if you're lurking in the bushes by my apartment you take a huge risk - Our crazy neighbour from Croatia saw out the war and then moved next door - she lurks with hedge clippers in the dead of night!

Found a supplier (I think)  in Austria. http://www.apatina-restaurierungsbedarf-chemikalien-online-kaufen.at/epages/es10669144.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es10669144/Products/5231234/SubProducts/5231234-0001

Seems to be good price. I assume it's the same quality (stickiness) as Wheels' batch.

We have a crazy Croatian neighbour as well. That's a tad freaky.

Lanolins can vary a far bit. We used to use lots of Lonocote but CRC brought it and it's not the same now, it's lost it's long term mojo. Most of the variations do appear to be due to additives of assorted types. Lanocote had fish oil in with it as one example, not sure if it does any longer. A lot are also not very sheep colour so that would tend to indicate additives.

This one says - Pure Anhydrous Lanolin (Technical Grade)

It's the colour of snow that's been pee on... in lieu of a better description.

FYI for the thickys like me -

Anhydrous - (of a substance, especially a crystalline compound) containing no water.

Pure sheep grease is quite yellowish, a bit like pee when you don't drink enough water (or so the missus says) and smells of sheep, but you would expect that, eh. Quite stiff and thick when cold, softens easily with warmth, body temp.

This thread is a bit old now but does anyone know of a current source of ‘good lanolin’? I’m in need is some and not having any luck locally in Whangarei. Thanks

Prolan is definitely available at Anzor in Porowini ave, ii've seen it on the shelf.