Wednesday Night Series

johnMi

It looks like there's gonna be some long races for us with RNZYS from now on, with the multis doing about 25 to 30% longer races than A and B div.We usually finish with the trailing a div boats and leading B div boats.

Last night the wind got lighter and lighter and we finished with the 88s and 930s in the Dark!

Must sort out some luminous woolies, anybody got any ideas, because the ones I have did not turn on last night. :wtf: :wtf:

Yeah, it didn't help that the wind got lighter and lighter and lighter, increasing the gap from the front of the fleet to the back. Don't know what the solution is. Maybe we should do the same course as the A div? We have a huge range of speeds across our division, which makes it pretty tough to figure out what to do.

Well done for sticking it out john!

I see you had the A team last night, how did you go, were you happy with voom?

Ceratinly had the A team, there was even more than one Mr T!

Voom went well. Was the first time I have had a kite up, so was happy to see it all worked. We tried every sail on the boat except the storm jib last night (#1, #2, Masthead kite, frac kite and the code zero). made for a slow packup after!

I'm happy with Voom!

Seen some thing similar on the 12's. one of the guys had a kite painted and the painter used the wrong solvent on the cloth to clean it. the pulled the kite up and it blew out neatly around the letters. Was quite funny to see.

It looks like there's gonna be some long races for us with RNZYS from now on, with the multis doing about 25 to 30% longer races than A and B div.

I have lodged a formal complaint about this with the NZMYC Commodore. The RNZYS sailing committee will be reviewing it at the monthly meeting. Please forward any related correspondence to Matthew Flynn attn RNZYS sailing committee.

his contact details are here http://multihull.org.nz/about-us/committee-204.htm

If the NZMYC wants all the cruiser racers to stop racing they are going about it the right way.

If the NZMYC wants all the cruiser racers to stop racing they are going about it the right way.

I think you will find it was not just multis that had an issue with this, all boats were effected no matter how many hulls.

I am sure that they will chose the courses a little more carefully next time.

A pretty dire combination of dying wind and strong outgoing tide last night.

You can see the same thing across pretty much every division - the boats toward the back just fell further and further back. And I'm sure not helped by more and more traffic as the 1020s, y88s, sportboats and cruising division all started to come together at Orakei.

I'm also interested in any answers for telltales at night. Particularly how to see the outside telltale.

I understand it was a long course for everyone.

What I think is wrong is expecting cruiser racer/or small multihulls to come racing and do a longer course than the Keelboat A div in wed night racing and Rum races.

As I said, if you want fleet numbers to decline rather than increase leave it as is.

If you want a big 20 boat plus fleet of Multihulls you need to think about the big picture not just what suits the top 5 boats.

Unfortunately the only answer is to have two divisions doing different courses. Looking at the results, as many boats in the multi div would have been happy with the course as not and whilst the length was tough on the back boats, a course only two thirds as long wouldn't be fair to the front runners either.

I'd suggest long and short haul multi divisions off the same start line with the criteria being purely the choice of the owner as to which they'd prefer to do.

It's a straight trade-off between numbers and 'practicality', you can't have both with the diversity of boats in the multi fleet.

For what it's worth, I'd suggest their are two divisions anyway, it would just be formalising reality.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about the long courses as long as there are other divisions around us. What I am concerned however is if everyone else is finished, and we are out there alone and the finish boat has to wait patiently for us to finish. Happened on the last BMW race last year where they sent an inflatable to ask us if we were still racing. ( :cry: :cry: ) I hate pulling out.

I don't like the idea of splitting the fleet. Where would you draw the line. Taeping races dirty deeds who races TWU and Exodus, who races Voom and Tigre who races Hyper who I try to catch. The best break or biggest gap is usually between me and hyper (Maybe I could have my own division and always win, I mean I'm always last anyway :D :D )

You could only split the fleet on handicap. Then you'd lose the 8.5 division as half of them would be sailing a different course. But it probably is inevitable. It seems the growth in multihulls is at the top and bottom of the speed chain.

My idea is same start line for all until a bigger fleet.

Two courses, a short course same as D division and a long course same as "A' division.

For handicap results say the longer course is 25% longer than the shorter course.

Just lengthen the short course times by the same percentage.

Some times this will favour the short course, other times it will favour the long course, should even out over time,

Personally I don't mind the line winner being who ever gets home first, sometimes the short course will win, some times the long course.

Maybe with the proviso that if a short course boat keeps winning on line they get put on the long course.

Initially the split on course length is on handicap.

If the top 8.5's want to sail the short course they can

Archived