Rehabilitated

Tips on satying in the boat by using jacklines.

My preference is for wire Jacklines, they only need to be small diameter and have never rolled on them, I have seen webbing lines chafe through in high winds/waves and they are susceptible to UV damage.

You can use dyneema now. That would be better than wire as it'll be stronger, will flatten and easier to see damage.

I used webbing, went to wire, one trip later changed it to dyneema but then went back to webbing. But I gave those to another boat I can't remember so I'll have to make more. I'm going with a soft n floppy dyneema this time.

One thing I do see a lot is jacklines that are good and have huge strength lashed on with tiny often old not enough turns lashings. The number I've seen lashed with a single turn 3mm +/- line is very frightening. The same with lifelines, good lines fixed to the boat with abysmally weak.

You can use dyneema now. That would be better than wire as it'll be stronger, will flatten and easier to see damage.

I like the idea of dyneema Jacklines.  I've be inclined to leave them on all the time. 

I tended to leave mine on but I think taking them off and storing them dry in the shade is the best option if you have decent gaps between needing them.

I can replace mine easily and cheaply, surprise knot, so I found that worked better for me.

We do have dyneema webbing, not sure why you'd want it as jackstays when the usual stuff works but some boys do like their toys a bit fancier. 

Dyneema would be good, one thing I like about wire is there is very little drag when moving about, webbing especially when wet is a pain in the arse as the hook catches and drags. And leaving wire on permanently is not an issue.  Doesn't move around much in the wind either and chafe is not an issue.

Oh and took a 50 foot cat to Vanuatu a couple of weeks ago, definitely clipped on and wasn't worried about flipping :)