coast guard are commercial?

Cash-strapped Coastguard New Zealand believes lives will be put at risk if it is forced to pay a levy to the Government.

The coastal search and rescue charity needs $20 million a year to keep its patrol vessels afloat. It receives 12.5 per cent of that from the Government and fund raises the rest. But as of 1 July it has a new bill in its in-tray.

Coastguard NZ has been asked to pay the maritime levy, which it calculates will costs it another $20,000 a year.

Maritime New Zealand said the charity was being asked to pay the annual fee as it is classified under the law as a 'commercial' operation not 'recreational' - the only two categories available.

Historically the charge had been waived, but Maritime New Zealand director Keith Manch wants all organisations categorised 'commercial' to pay the levy, whether or not they are actually a business.

As part of the recent funding review, consideration was given to whether that arrangement [the waiver] should be formalised.

However, the Government decided that this would not happen

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zealand/left-perish-lack-support-coastguard-national-disgrace

This so called Government are a bunch of incompetent twits.They are not in control of NZ. The bureaucrats are . That it has got this far is proof. Understand next on the list are Yacht Club patrol boats. And another 17 months of them to go ....plus who's going to replace them ?

• Upvote 2

Balance the equation. Coastguard used to comprise of volunteer boats and crews who dedicated a large amount of time, effort and probably personal finance to provide a great service which, in my memory, was largely found not to be wanting. Volunteer boats used to strategically place themselves around the gulf at crucial times, hence the Coastguard moorings in a lot of prime anchorages. Timely and efficient assistance could be given at a reasonable cost. 

Coastguard chose to become more professional with dedicated rescue vessels and professionally qualified skippers (needed if boats were considered "commercial") The volunteer boats were squeezed out.

Can only talk about Auckland with any knowledge.

Maybe Coastguard  can't have it both ways.

Balance the equation. Coastguard used to comprise of volunteer boats and crews who dedicated a large amount of time, effort and probably personal finance to provide a great service which, in my memory, was largely found not to be wanting. Volunteer boats used to strategically place themselves around the gulf at crucial times, hence the Coastguard moorings in a lot of prime anchorages. Timely and efficient assistance could be given at a reasonable cost. 

Coastguard chose to become more professional with dedicated rescue vessels and professionally qualified skippers (needed if boats were considered "commercial") The volunteer boats were squeezed out.

Can only talk about Auckland with any knowledge.

Maybe Coastguard  can't have it both ways.

The volunteer boats where used in a non-personal way and so were considered as commercial.  Dedicated boats enabled better equipment levels and training which  was good.  The costs of dedicated boats has continued to increase.   The fact most of them have been required to get passenger survey is, in my opinion, ridiculous and I suspect adds more in fees that this latest fee hike has. 

If they are paying an additional $20,000 I wonder what the base level of fees is.....

Good luck to them.

Coast guard skippers don't get paid! I have been one for last 6 years but have just left as maintaining my masters ticket was harder than maintaining my mnz ticket I work full time as a master!

• Upvote 5

It's much less costly in administration to avoid all sorts of exceptions to the rule. Also coast guard is not a democratic organisation - "members" don't get to vote

https://www.coastguard.org.nz/uploads/file/publications/Agenda%202018%20-%20version%203%20-%20300818.pdf

6. Elect and declare Officers and Committee for the ensuing year a. President b. Vice President c. Two Board Members