Solar Logging

Epever MPPT solar controller, RS485 connection from that to an onboard raspberry pi, which polls the data and logs it to a database.

4G router to access it all.

Software is

Grafana to make the graphs

Node-Red to poll the solar controller and push to database

InfluxDB for storing timestamps and values.

been fiddling with this for a while now. Today I've got it updated to show total AH in per day. 

Right. I thought of doing something similar, but wasn't sure about the amount of power used by the Pi and 4G modem, and also it seemed a waste of money to pay for a dedicated sim to do that - the prepay data is still expensive?

Would be nice if there was Wifi at the club house.....

AG

yes.. power consumption of the Pi and modem is high.. but I have the shore power most of the time to cover this. 

Maybe one day I'll try dumb it down to lower the power usage.

As for the SIM.. 

2degrees (and some others probably) let you share data among (up to 5) SIMs... I already pay for a sim for a mobile wifi stick thing when I'm travelling,so it costs no extra to share it with the boat

Right thats good to know about 2degrees. I have 25Gb or some crazy cap with Vodafone, but no way to share it - I am thinking of changing.

I actually think I RaspPi even in mid winter wouldnt kill the batteries as they are kept full by solar easily.

Looks like the max draw of a rasp pi is 1A at 5v. I guess at 12v the max draw would be something like 0.4 and if the pi is idle probably 0.2a.

I think our batt bank is about 350Ah so that should easily cope.

Guess I also need to factor in the 4G modem.....

In my setup currently the only way to monitor anything on the n2k bus would be leaving the Vesper on. Not going to do that.