LITTLE BUCKLANDS BEACH MOORINGS

Hi everyone

I'm just after some advice if I may please. I currently have a keeler on a swing mooring at Little Bucklands Beach which I bought approximately 2 years ago and did the standard transfer paperwork through Auckland Transport & the previous owner. I have now been told by the Harbour Master's office that my mooring has "crept" over time 39 metres towards the ferry channel. The mooring now needs to be resited however there are no sites remaining in Little Bucklands Beach & my mooring will need to be moved to either Big Bucklands Beach or the Pakuranga Mooring area which is up by the Subritsky Car Ferry terminal. I am really unhappy with this however it would appear that I don't have much choice especially as the Little Bucklands Beach mooring area is being "squeezed" by the new marina additions.

OK so I have accepted that I have to move. What I am really unhappy about is that Auckland Transport expect me to arrange a barge/contractor to do the move & pay for it!! I have told Auckland Transport that I didn't move the mooring & therefore don't believe it is my fault & therefore don't believe I should be subject to any costs.

Is anybody else having the same issue? What are your thoughts please?

Many thanks

Ian Gabriel

iangabriel1968@gmail.com

027 457 8220

As you own the physical mooring you would normally be responsible for all costs associated with 3 year survey, replacement or repositioning. 

Assuming you bought the mooring with a fresh survey; If you've had the boat for two years the mooring will be due for a service in the next 12 months - just get it repositioned when it is next serviced and it shouldn't cost you much if any any extra. If they want it done immediately you could suggest AT arrange and pay for it, bearing in mind at the moment it seems to be taking 6 months or more to get a mooring serviced.

I would also be asking why you can't just return to the original coordinate.

Thanks dutyfree and I totally agree. The problem is that all the boats around me seem very close. Maybe more moorings have been squeezed in over the years. I reckon if my mooring was moved 5 or 10 metres further in there would probably be a collision as the boats swung. But yeah there was a site there & now there is not so why is that my fault & if I have to move then why should I pay for it!

Thanks Greg for your comments. Yes totally agree that as owner I am responsible for costs at survey time. When I purchased the mooring it was nearly out of survey but had it resurveyed about a year ago so I have a couple of years to go before the next survey. Yes I will definitely suggest what you propose thanks. I booked my last survey 3 months prior to due date & despite me hassling the contractor the survey went over due date by about 3 months making me worry about insurance risks etc ie about 6 months from booking which ties in with what you say. It wasn't the contractors fault as he was struck with bad weather & other delays. Even if I do have to move I don't believe it is going to happen over night! That moving back to the original coordinate is a very valid point so thanks I will use that.

Adding to all the points above is your vessel bigger and heavier or than the previous boat ?

I say this because for it to drift there must have been insufficient weight for your boat, moorings should never drift if configured correctly for the boat. The contractor should be able to comment on that as they keep records of what they survey.

That is assuming that the drift did not partly occur with the previous vessel.

Thanks for your comment Frank. Mine is a Cavalier 26. Without digging out the paperwork to check I know that there are 3 train wheels on the seabed with 3 different weights of chain before the connection to the main mooring rope. I have had this boat on the mooring for over 2 years & the previous owner used the same mooring with the same boat for an unknown time before that. He was renting the mooring before I bought the boat from a guy who previously had a Farr 1020 on it & I understand that the mooring was configured for that boat. So the short answer is no my boat is shorter and lighter than the previous boat. 

Interesting ! so that completely rules out the mooring, for comparison my Carpenter 29 at Shelly Park has only ever had two wheels and it has never moved in 25 years. I wonder if successive lift and surveys over the years have seen it incorrectly positioned at some point. It is hard to see how anything else could move it, unless the previous owner allowed a heavier boat to borrow the mooring or somebody parked on it while it was unoccupied. The other possibility is the the HM records for the GPS position are wrong, here's hoping it can be resolved to your satisfaction !

I was out at the boat today. There is a line of moorings which are the closest to the channel & I am in that line. All the moorings seem to be jammed in there so the next row in in my opinion are about as close as they can be to mine to give swinging room. What is interesting though is the mooring that is I think 2 rows in from mine but the closest to the ramp has been told that he is 7 metres outside the mooring area so has to move to Big Bucks or up to Pakuranga while I am apparantly 39 metres outside the mooring area.

Sorry having trouble putting a pointer on your map. Maybe I can't actually do it. If you look at the boat in the top of the picture then move to the one to the left of it. Go straight down from that one. (quite a big gap) I am the boat straight down & fractionally right from that.

Auckland Council GIS website might help you here - you can select several recent years of imagery and you will be able to see your mooring movement over that time. The resolution is higher the Google too. (Latest image 2017)

mooring.jpg

Whatever you decide to do do it quickly as all the moorings off the Half Moon Bay Marina hardstand and wave/tide wall will be relocated to make room for the new North Pier Marina.

There is mooring just off the end of Wharf Road, Big Bucks. First row off the beach. The Harbourmaster has just recently taken an abandoned launch off it, complete with homeless guy. Launch is at the tip. Not sure where the homeless guy is.

The harbourmaster may be amenable to you taking that one. There is a dinghy rack across the Parade in a small reserve with loos.

From the marina down to river entrance you will find survey for insurance purposes is 2yrs rather than 3 due to high traffic area.

That's interesting. My mooring was surveyed 12 months ago & was given a 3 year survey.

Whatever you decide to do do it quickly as all the moorings off the Half Moon Bay Marina hardstand and wave/tide wall will be relocated to make room for the new North Pier Marina.

There is mooring just off the end of Wharf Road, Big Bucks. First row off the beach. The Harbourmaster has just recently taken an abandoned launch off it, complete with homeless guy. Launch is at the tip. Not sure where the homeless guy is.

The harbourmaster may be amenable to you taking that one. There is a dinghy rack across the Parade in a small reserve with loos.

Thanks kiwi_jon Talking to boat owners with the same issue at the weekend it would appear that this issue may all be due to the marina extension. The mooring area appears to be being pushed out to allow for the extension & then the outlying moorings being "chopped" off

I have a mooring closer to the HMB marina extension area.  (Catamaran next to the Trimaran in Island Time's photo).  I've been looking for information about the effects on mooring holders from the extensions and can't seem to find anything published.  Mooring holders were apparently given an opportunity to contest the resource consent application but no issues were formally raised (Can't remember where I read that).

I've asked the council/harbourmaster for some information and will pass that on when I hear back.

• Upvote 1