Sabre

Two pot over single pot?

I’m looking at freshening the top sides when I haul. I suspect what’s on there is very old single pot. Is there a primer that will seal the single pot to allow me use two pot or do I have to remove all trace of it?

Second question.. is it worth going to two pot or easier just to go single pot again? The lazy side of me is hoping the consensus would be to stick with single pot...

Nope. You will need to remove the single pot stuff to the bare whatever it is and then start from the beginning with the two pot.
Single pot is always easier in respect to prep over the existing and is cheaper, but it doesn't last as long and is not as hard wearing. If in direct sunlight everyday, expect 5 to 7yrs tops. With two pot, it is harder wearing and lasts longer in same conditions. Expect 15 to 20yrs.
On timber plank, single is often the way to go because the paint is more elastic.

Nope. You will need to remove the single pot stuff to the bare whatever it is and then start from the beginning with the two pot.

Single pot is always easier in respect to prep over the existing and is cheaper, but it doesn't last as long and is not as hard wearing. If in direct sunlight everyday, expect 5 to 7yrs tops. With two pot, it is harder wearing and lasts longer in same conditions. Expect 15 to 20yrs.

On timber plank, single is often the way to go because the paint is more elastic.

15/20yrs?? until you scratch it.    A few years ago I sand back the top sides single pot and had sprayed on  awlcraft?? acrylic single pot,still on 20 yrs later. 

Altex advised me that you could apply two pot paints over one pot paints if the one pot was well aged and well prepared and importantly still adhering well!

No point trying this over flaking paint!

They advised a particular 2 pot epoxy undercoat over the old paint followed by a 2 pot polyurethane.

If in doubt test paint a small patch to see if the old paint reacts/softens crinkles with the new. I have had no problems. 

Talk to Altex, they were helpful.

Specifically:     Altex Epoxy Barrier Undercoat followed by Altex Elite 321 Polyurethane Topcoat.   321 can be brushed or rollera nd tip off for almost perfect finish as long as thinned just right.

nb use the right thinners for each product.