Battery Choice

Hi

I'm replacing my house bank. 

Whats in there now is :

2x 130ah FLA  https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/batteries-chargers/listing-2317895601.htm

My Replacement choice currently is 2x of these

https://www.thebatterycellonline.co.nz/product/1934302

12V 120ah SLA, VRLA, AGM sealed Battery RITAR F12 "DC"

Can anyone comment on my choice? I want to move on from FLA, mainly because the house bank is in the cabin, (under a seat) and not really vented.

I've also upgraded all my charging/MPPT/battery monitor setup to Victron products so I now have full control & logging of all the charging parameters to (hopefully)  look after these ones a bit better.

12V 120ah SLA, VRLA, AGM sealed Battery RITAR F12 "DC"

Ideally they should be vented. VRSLA's of any type are not really "sealed" and can produce a lot of toxic gas if something goes wrong. It's difficult in some boats to do, I know.

Also, AGM's are better for higher discharge rates, over shorter periods, VRSLA gels (or hybrids) are better for lower discharge rates over a longer period, which is what yachts normally do. The gel versions give you more cycles as well, AGM typically 3-600 cycles, Gel typically 600 - 1000. What you get depends on charging regime and depth of discharge.

If you are in Auckland, I'm doing a public presentation on this topic at Gulf Harbour Yacht Club, 7pm on Tuesday. Open to all...

The battery in your link is rated 120Ah at the 20hr rate. The hour rate is how capacity is measured and at 25 Degrees Celsius and more hours use will give you slightly elevated capacity.  A true 120Ah would be rated at the 10hr rate like this battery https://waveinverter.co.nz/shop/deep-cycle-battery/fm120/

Also just something that seems to ring true 'almost' all of the time with common lead acid types,  the heavier the battery, the higher the real world no BS capacity.  A lighter battery with the same Ah rating is likely to have some marketing/ghost amp hours and we know we can't use those marketing/ghost amp hours.  

Hi Winter, are you looking at batteries based on budget, or are you after quality? the one you are looking at is probably not the best for either. I and I am sure a few others could give you some suggestions if you want.

• Upvote 1

Also important that an AGM has airflow around it as they can get warm while going through charging cycle.

I guess that is true of all battery types? Most things get warm when you push power in/thru.

The battery in your link is rated 120Ah at the 20hr rate. The hour rate is how capacity is measured and at 25 Degrees Celsius and more hours use will give you slightly elevated capacity.  A true 120Ah would be rated at the 10hr rate like this battery https://waveinverter.co.nz/shop/deep-cycle-battery/fm120/

Also just something that seems to ring true 'almost' all of the time with common lead acid types,  the heavier the battery, the higher the real world no BS capacity.  A lighter battery with the same Ah rating is likely to have some marketing/ghost amp hours and we know we can't use those marketing/ghost amp hours.  

My reading had suggested that the 20hr rate was the more common rate to measure batteries by?  Although I guess that most load would be overnight - so maybe the 10hr is better. 

Regardless, that battery you suggest looks good, and yes more capacity, but unfortunately is too physically big.

Lotta marketing speak...but no stated anticipated cycle life...look expensive in the link above

That was one of the things that attracted me to that Ritar battery I first linked - it has a very comprehensive PDS showing expected cycle life at varying depth of discharge. 

Hi Winter, are you looking at batteries based on budget, or are you after quality? the one you are looking at is probably not the best for either. I and I am sure a few others could give you some suggestions if you want.

I am looking for batteries based on size - as I have a tight fit / small space to fit them in. So I'm looking for ones that match the existing - Dimensions: (L)330 (W)170 (H)240mm

Yes I would love suggestions. I am not that budget conscious but don't want to stretch to any Li chemistry. 

Yep, if you like Winter, I can price a decent alternative. Send me a PM if your interested.

Yes Please! Happy to hear peoples opinions- this is why I posted :D

I'm not sure I can make it to your talk tonight - I would like to, unfortunately with Auckland's traffic and my work schedule..

FYI

The rest of the battery system includes includes Victron BMV-712, Victron SmartSolar MPPT 75/15, Victron MultiPlus 35a charger, and unknown alternator around 80amps with a CruzPro SAR20 smart Alternator regulator