Great Barrier ferry at Westhaven Marina

It was all part of the AC36 resource consent. Admittedly that was one of the fastest consent application processes but was certainly widely consulted and communicated.

It’s bloody grants fault ! Not a conspiracy at all . Sealink had to move to make way for AC bases . Shame they didn’t use Bayswater marina or the navy base or orakei marina or anywhere else equally unsuitable

I have it on good authority that sealink had objections from some of it's own directors about this plan. Some of their vessels are not easy to manage, and will have to make this approach at some speed (circa 8 knots) if its windy. It's an accident waiting to happen IMO, and is very poorly conceived.

I have it on good authority that sealink had objections from some of it's own directors about this plan. Some of their vessels are not easy to manage, and will have to make this approach at some speed (circa 8 knots) if its windy. It's an accident waiting to happen IMO, and is very poorly conceived.

They should be well practised - they have the same issue at Half Moon Bay with the addition of strong tides and one of, if not the most popular free boat ramps in NZ right next door.

• Upvote 2

Hopefully in the weekend I will try and have a quick skim of the submissions etc. I am really interested in how they took account of the other thousands of users of that entrance. Due to where the big fullers ferry normally sits I have to almost come to a stop to see if anything is coming from the Z pier area.

From the navigation safety report:

The Sealink ferries typically carry out four return journeys per day and the fishing fleet a similar number of daily movements. These voyages will increase the traffic using the boat harbour entrance. Given that Westhaven is a large, busy area, the effect of the relatively few additional vessel movements will be limited.

So the effects will be limited, except they forgot to mention that they would stop the other boats moving!

This is from the summary report: sufficiently clear space to allow vessel maneuvering, effects less than minor.

8.9NAVIGATION Navigatus Consulting has prepared a Navigation Safety and Utility Report (Attachment 16). The report has considered the navigational requirements for the proposed use by the fishing and ferry industry. These requirements include water depth, vessel manoeuvring, berthage and navigation aids and general public safety.Whilst the FIR will be built adjacent to the eastern entrance to Westhaven marina, the associated structures will not impinge on the existing fairway into the marina. The physical structures will therefore not directly affect uses of this waterspacetoan extent where navigational safety effects might arise. In terms of additional vessels movements, the Navigation Safety and Utilityreport indicates the ferries undertake four return journeys per day and a similar number for the fishing Assessment of Environmental Effects Ferry and Fishing Industry Relocation Facility47industry. The use of the marina entrance for these movements will add to an already busy fairway, however the effect of the relatively few additional movements in expected to be limited.Overall, the report concludes that the FFIRF will result in improved maritime utility for the ferry and Fishing Industry. The positive effects include:A purpose-designed berthage and loading utility.Separation of ferry traffic from a waterspace with multiple, competing uses.Improvedferry terminal facilities.Sufficiently clear areas of waterspace to enable safe vessel manoeuvring. Ashelteredwaterspace together with pontoon access,offeringanotably improved operatingfacility for the small and mid-sized fishing vessels.In terms of any adverse effects, it is considered that any adverse navigation and safety effects will be minor

• Upvote 1

I'm not sure it's the catastrophe some are thinking?

It's a few ferry movements, from what are pretty good operators.

Is it really that big a deal to wait a few minutes now & again for a ferry to berth?

Flame away!

I think the issue is a lack of inherent safety. Its what any designer / engineer refers to as 'safety in design'.

The best example is why supermarkets don't bring their freight trucks in the front doors for grocery unloading. You keep the large heavy vehicles physically separated from all of the small, hard to coral vehicles doing random movements (i.e. like herding cats).

Safety in Design considers the inherent ability to operate the design without excessive risk of having a cluster f*ck. Anyone thats had to sit through an H&S briefing would know that 'administrative controls' such as signage and flashing lights comes way down the list of hierarchical controls. Eliminate, isolate, substitute (Don't know if I've got the order right, those briefing are always good for catching up on sleep). Basically the same reason motorways have solid concrete median barriers instead of signs saying 'keep left, don't have a major head on cluster-f*ck'.

And I don't think its the need to wait that is the issue. It is making sure everyone knows they need to check if they need to wait, being aware of what the neat flashing lights mean, and actually looking, as opposed to loading the waypoint for your favorite fishing spot, trying to plug in the #1, or twatting your gram on fakebook. That and not running into the back of the boat infront as they slow down to wait.

What ever way you spin it, having a barge trying to do a right angle turn just there is sub-optimal. It has a high risk of incidences, possibly a fatality. I can only assume the ferry will need a guard boat type thing to operate safely during the peak summer days (which is what I think is refereed to as 'operational controls').

PS, I don't have a boat in WH, so this doesn't affect me. One point of view is that its great that Punuku are maximising revenue for the greater good of Auckland ratepayers. But I don't believe that, I just think this is an ill thought out move that was rushed, as an after thought to focusing on wet dreams of lots of super yachts coming for the Am Cup.

• Upvote 1