Tory channel Entrance All ships call

Depending on where you look there is differing information about which channel All ships calls should be made entering the restricted navigation zone.

some sites show CH18 for all ships call.

http://www.cruiseguide.co.nz/marlborough-sounds/boating-and-navigation/tory-channel-entrance/

some show CH19

https://www.marlborough.govt.nz/repository/libraries/id:1w1mps0ir17q9sgxanf9/hierarchy/Documents/Recreation/SafeBoatingBrochure.pdf

Which is Right?  this seems like a recipe for disaster with differing channels published.

And how many people are actually doing this?  I don't think i have heard any calls except form Ferries (cant remember which channel though!)

It changed to ch 18 last summer, during a bigger reshuffle of VHF frequencies.

I’ve always done it on my boat, and it’s always been done on every boat I’ve been through on. It seems smart to do, the opening is small, the current can be strong and waves suddenly much bigger, meaning you can spend much longer than expected getting through, and the ferries want it all to them selves when they go through. They will ask you to wait if your eta is close to theirs. They will also report you to the HM to be fined if you don’t call and are an issue.

• Upvote 1

Yeah available in both. Search Marlborough Sounds Cruise Guide. It was made by the council and launched maybe 2 summers ago to try and replace the old book of a similar name. It’s fairly handy, doesn’t replace the book imo, but still useful.

Yeah available in both. Search Marlborough Sounds Cruise Guide. It was made by the council and launched maybe 2 summers ago to try and replace the old book of a similar name. It’s fairly handy, doesn’t replace the book imo, but still useful.

agreed...doesn't replace the printed guide but very useful

There's no requirement to make a call to enter Wellington Harbour.

But in respect to not having at least a VHF, that would be a sad state and obviously very stupid to head  in to Cook Strait without even a a shitty $100 portable.

Let alone the noncompliance with the collision regs for the Tory Entrance.

Please be respectful of others. No one knows it all.

I am a commercially certified Skipper (MNZ SCO and Yachtmaster <24m, + RYA 200 ton commercially rated) and I completely reject compulsory licensing.  It does not work. Has not is Ausy, for example, except as a revenue gathering operation. Those who want to be responsible skippers will learn. Those who really should learn won't get licensed anyway..., and the costs of recreation boating, already high, will go up still more for no benefit.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Rehabilitated I apologise for, and accept that I made an erroneous statement. I had always thought the requirement at Wellington Entrance was for commercial shipping only. But Section 6.1.1 of the Harbour regulations states the requirement for all vessels to call (with the visibility exception for pleasure craft mentioned under 6.1.2), I have learnt something today. Thank you. And I had certainly read those instructions on a number of occasions. I wasn't ignorant of them.

As an aside, the requirement to call isn't mentioned in either of the Lowry Bay nor Port Nich Yacht Clubs' Cook Strait Sailing Instructions also (yet the Tory call is stated). 

In respect to compulsory licensing I'm in IT's camp. But I certainly have sympathies and see all sorts of stupid stuff out there. I also hold Skippers RL and am a qualified Coastguard Instructor but I certainly don't profess to know it all, quite the opposite. So the forum helps us all to learn and develop. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1