Fish

Fatality - Northland

Correct , all of the above only applies to deep water

Once a wave feels the bottom everything changes, but you can't understand those changes till you understand the steady state in deep water.

The study of ocean waves is fascinating but they are hard buggers to study as it's hard to find somewhere to stand.

Is there any understanding of what happened to the boat yet?

I fully understand if the survivors can't / don't want to talk about it.

It is curious though that there is no indication.

Generally through the process of issue a distress call and conducting a rescue the general nature of the issue becomes apparent, for example broken rig puncturing hull. 

Given the very little information to hand (i.e. that the boat sunk) and that the crew ended up in the water, would that indicate something catastrophic happened very quickly?

Very sad for all concerned but its a testament to how our good our rescue services are. Only one person died thankfully and it's important to keep perspective, considering how many people die each day from accidents on land. Only a few years ago they all may have perished, we can be thankful for accurate GPS, plb's and as mentioned excellent emergency services.

Lesson for me is keep the grab bag handy with a plb/epirb, lifejackets and practice what to do, even then there is luck involved and in this case getting tangled and drowning was just a roll of the dice.

Would not be surprised if the boat had a grid delam/keel issue. 

Mate, it was a Bravaria Oceans 47, not a cat. Had serious water ingress issues, but as yet we dont know why. The initial mayday reported about an hour left before she sank, which she did, so seems accurate at this point.

Unfortunately, storms in October reasonably often claim a boat or two coming down from the islands. IMO this is one of the most dangerous passages many cruisers ever do.

Sad story. I wait to see if the rest of us can learn something from it.