Summer Skin Protection

Hi All,

With summer (hopefully) just around the corner I was wondering what sort of protection from the elements people use?

I find that no matter how much sun screen I put on my face, and I wear a hat, I still have a slight redness slightly burnt sensation.

I wonder if it isn't windburn, and maybe once of those face shield thingys might help?

What do you use?

Al

Have had a few melanoma type moles removed,lucky was in living in Oz at the time free at the Doctors,cover up nowdays no more bronze god body.Cotton shirt big brim hat and a decent pair of shades,its not just the face and arms,legs cop it as well.

never got sunburnt in Oz like we do here,must have lower uv same as the islands??

Longsleeve loose white cotton or linen shirts with large cuffs n collar.

Medium brimmed straw hat I got from H&M in Prague for €5. it’s got a loose weave top that means it stays on even when it’s gusting 30. there’s never a pressure differential, apparently. A dab of zinc based sunblock on m lips n nose and smeared on the bits that went shaded all the time.

I hate wearing sunblock. Feels ick.

Next summer a pair of white loose long leg pants might also be employed. Dressed thus one looks a right royal tosser but it bloody works!

Longsleeve loose white cotton or linen shirts with large cuffs n collar.

Medium brimmed straw hat I got from H&M in Prague for €5. it’s got a loose weave top that means it stays on even when it’s gusting 30. there’s never a pressure differential, apparently. A dab of zinc based sunblock on m lips n nose and smeared on the bits that went shaded all the time.

I hate wearing sunblock. Feels ick.

Next summer a pair of white loose long leg pants might also be employed. Dressed thus one looks a right royal tosser but it bloody works!

Not drawing any parallels here doc but you have reminded me of a boat I spotted in France recently .

It was the first boat with black sails I had spotted out of the 100s of benes , jonnos , elans etc . I grabbed the telescope and glassed it over and noted it was a new J boat of fortyish something feet .

It’s was being sailed solo by a gent in linen shirt and pants and what my son called “slippers” which seem to be popular over there with gents in moneyed circles . I sh*t you not it could’ve been Jonny Depp for all I know , filming some after shave ad cutting a dash through all the 4 knot caravans .

Not drawing any parallels here doc but you have reminded me of a boat I spotted in France recently .

It was the first boat with black sails I had spotted out of the 100s of benes , jonnos , elans etc . I grabbed the telescope and glassed it over and noted it was a new J boat of fortyish something feet .

It’s was being sailed solo by a gent in linen shirt and pants and what my son called “slippers” which seem to be popular over there with gents in moneyed circles . I sh*t you not it could’ve been Jonny Depp for all I know , filming some after shave ad cutting a dash through all the 4 knot caravans .

Similar to this?

• Upvote 1

I ended up ordering one of the face sheilds that the fisho's seem to wear a lot. I googled it and now get targeted with advertising from safishing.com in everything. Hopefully it will stop since I brought one :-)

Might have to get me one of those hats too IT.

What model Shelta did you get?

I was going to ask that question as well. I'm seriously looking at one.

I'm considering either the Seahawke or Raptor V2.

I'm basically after a classic sailing cap but that also covers the temples, ears and neck, but will stay on in moderate sailing conditions. Learning towards the Raptor.