Sabre

Altex elite 321 brushing polyurethane

Has anybody used this product? I have recently seen a boat painted with it using the roll and tip method about 15 years ago and still looks great however it was painted by a pro so I’m curious if many/any amateurs have had any success?

If so any tips? Most info I have seen suggests roll and tip but the tin says tipping may not be necessary...

Yes. Very disappointed. It’s too soft to use on a boat. After 2 years we have nicks and scratches and patches all over. Perhaps a pro might have done a better job but I can think what we did wrong. We measured properly and observed Redpath times. The undercoat is harder than the topcoat.

My deck and topsides were done in it 10ish years ago and its still looking good. Its started loosing its gloss in places now, but overall I've been very happy with it.

Like Wheels said, brush and tip gives a spray like finish

I have used it over lots of my topsides with just a brush.  (Areas between non slip patches are two narrow even for a little roller in places!)

Get it mixed and thinned right and it flows out nicely. Have also used roller and tipped off. Also good.

Well better than toplac for example.

I painted under my heads with it and as expected gave a good high gloss easy clean finish.

The fumes were too much even with ventilation. If using interior get the right respirator! 

Thanks all for the advice. Ended up rolling it on with foam rollers after talking to a boat builder who had used the product. Sounded simple so I went with that.. worked ok. Certainly passes the boat length rule imo.

I painted the window frames with a brush and the finish was much better so I would probably try roll and tip next time. Thats if god forbid I get the crazy notion to paint a boat again.

Any way, with this weather it is bloody nice to be back in the water...

20191103_184845.jpg