2019 crew.org Rumrace

Yep, it's on at this stage. Even if it's a storm, the party will go on, as the entertainment and everything is already paid for, and the prizes. We'll just draw the prizes from a bucket or something. But it will have to be WINDY to stop it, skippers call, you do not have to go, and the responsibility is entirely the skippers!

Hi people

Forecast is something of a concern this year, MetService is calling the breeze to drop in the evening whilst the PredictWind models have it dropping only slightly but still definite wind warning country well into the evening.

To cover the possibility that it will still be strong into the evening and given some boats may have people new to sailing, I've elected to make courses very simple this year.  I've also chosen to make the finish line a transit from the tower through the ODM meaning you can finish outside the ODM if you wish.

Keep in mind people, as always, it's the skippers decision as to whether to go out sailing or not.  My personal advice, if the wind is up, be certain of your decision before leaving.

As usual, for those starting last on the short course or first on the long course, if you particularly want to sail the other course, let me know and I'll see what can be arranged.

Short Course :

7.6nm:  From the start rounding Bean Rock Buoy to starboard finishing in a westerly direction on a transit line from the Westhaven Tower through the ODM.

Long Course :

11.4nm:  From the start rounding Motukorea Buoy to starboard finishing in a westerly direction on a transit line from the Westhaven Tower through the ODM.

The start line is defined as a line from Westhaven tower to the outer distance mark (ODM), the finish line as noted earlier is a line from the Westhaven Tower, through the Outer Distance Mark to a point on the northern side of the harbour.

Start times shall be signalled with number boards on the tower and we will endeavour to broadcast each start time on VHF ch77.  We expect to coordinate start times using GPS time so starting on your GPS time should work well.

Keep in mind people you are sailing under Collregs which do require a higher degree of caution while navigating in close proximity to other vessels.  There are also insurance implications so if close to other vessels, throttle back the racing enthusiasm, no one wants a damaged boat just before their Christmas cruise.

Apologies to the purists as I know it's not likely to be a tactical or challenging course, especially if I've overestimated the severity of the weather.

Any questions, please email me at mmulcare@xtra.co.nz

Start times, as at 16:00, Tuesday 17 December :

7.6nm course :

17:59 Crocodile
17:59 Serene
17:59 Sweathog
18:04 Bondi Tram
18:05 Flashwave
18:06 Duty Free
18:06 Cool Change
18:07 Legless
18:07 Young Magic
18:07 Panama Jack
18:07 Elliphunk
18:09 Ovlov Marine
18:10 Carpe Diem
18:11 Hawkeye II
18:11 Hard Labour
18:12 Fast Company
18:13 Team Sex
18:13 Chain Reaction
18:14 Fun-n-Games
18:14 Waka
18:15 Atomic
18:16 Pretty Woman
18:16 Motorboat II

11.6nm course :

17:45 Transformer
17:45 Atamai
17:47 Black Pearl
17:47 Extreme
17:48 Force Eleven
17:59 Knee Deep II
18:04 Freedom
18:12 Romanza

Stay safe people, if you're out enjoy the sail.

• Upvote 1

A few new boats, as below

7.6nm course :

17:59 Crocodile
17:59 Serene
17:59 Sweathog
18:04 Bondi Tram
18:05 Flashwave
18:05 Hot Gossip II
18:06 Duty Free
18:06 Cool Change
18:07 Legless
18:07 Young Magic
18:07 Panama Jack
18:07 Sailor Moon
18:07 Elliphunk
18:09 Ovlov Marine
18:10 Carpe Diem
18:11 Hawkeye II
18:11 Hard Labour
18:12 Fast Company
18:13 Enigma I
18:13 Team Sex
18:13 Chain Reaction
18:14 Fun-n-Games
18:14 Waka
18:15 Atomic
18:16 Pretty Woman
18:16 Motorboat II

11.6nm course :

17:45 Transformer
17:45 Atamai
17:47 Black Pearl
17:47 Extreme
17:48 Force Eleven
17:59 Knee Deep II
18:04 Freedom
18:12 Romanza

Don’t call it too early... forecast is to reduce and the first half is all downwind anyway...giving more time for wind to drop for the bash home.

I’m keen to sail even if ending up two handed...might just go out regardless.