Mid 70s Kauri logs

rossd - good for you. And I can see how your seagull will blend in with the rest of your set-up in terms of age, style and authenticity. Which I’ve got no problem with. Some of my favourite sailing memories were on old, wooden vessels which smelled of a nostalgic blend of wood, varnish, and paraffin. My only issue is when mission-critical stuff breaks down. And our Seagull broke down a lot - and it was our main engine not the dinghy outboard (we only had oars). Hence it went swimming in the end ????

rossd - good for you. And I can see how your seagull will blend in with the rest of your set-up in terms of age, style and authenticity. Which I’ve got no problem with. Some of my favourite sailing memories were on old, wooden vessels which smelled of a nostalgic blend of wood, varnish, and paraffin. My only issue is when mission-critical stuff breaks down. And our Seagull broke down a lot - and it was our main engine not the dinghy outboard (we only had oars). Hence it went swimming in the end

So is my o/b mission critical? Just used oars up to now but where i am moored now a lot of the time when wind and tide marginal I just cannot make it under oars, maybe a hard dinghy would.  looking back there has been a couple of times I have been a bit fool hardy by drifting  down with tide and wind , using the oars to make sure contact is made with bow or anchor rode and one chance to grab something or else drifting off like that woman in the Med recently. Couple of back up measures, A line and float of the stern, or better still I have a little lie flat anchor to deploy should the target be missed. Handheld VHF wouldn't go astray either.    

So is my o/b mission critical? Just used oars up to now but where i am moored now a lot of the time when wind and tide marginal I just cannot make it under oars, maybe a hard dinghy would.  looking back there has been a couple of times I have been a bit fool hardy by drifting  down with tide and wind , using the oars to make sure contact is made with bow or anchor rode and one chance to grab something or else drifting off like that woman in the Med recently. Couple of back up measures, A line and float of the stern, or better still I have a little lie flat anchor to deploy should the target be missed. Handheld VHF wouldn't go astray either.    

Stick with the Seagull ,Aleana has obviously crossed over well away from the heady blend of wood varnish and paraffin which in my view are the soul and grace of yachting.

Yup you can sit on your yoghurt pot revelling in your enclosed in clears power assisted cockpit flight deck auto anchored electric furling bow thrusted wonder but it will never deep down inside ever have the feel of a wooden log.

If it’s a dinghy outboard for Gulf cruising I’d say it’s not mission critical. You will nearly always have options whether to go or not. And if it fails you will usually have time and options to recover things. But if you were regularly carrying a dinghy full of precious passengers eg kids, on long dark cold river trips then I’d say you’re pushing your luck.

Like I said before, my experience was using a Seagull o/b as the primary engine for driving (or not) a 18ft family trailer sailor in tidal Solent waters. Given the modern alternatives we have today I doubt anyone here would sign up for that now despite the armchair nostalgics here.

Crikey Aleana last time I looked out of my cockpit armchair nostalgics were in short supply.

If it works don’t diss it.

It (Seagull) didn’t work for me. So yes I will diss it.

Anyway, nostalgia isn’t what it used to be.

• Upvote 1

Like you "Aleana" had a seagull on a trailer yacht,worked fine in a tank but put it to use Hmm. Either go or not. Had enough of the damn seagull so while going through tiri passage and wanted to motor,after several attempts and fails it meet its match.It just fell off in to the depths never to resurface again. Best thing I ever did.

I think NZ & AUS are pretty much the only countries left in the (developed) world permitting sale of new 2-stroke o/b. So I'm sure they'll be banned here soon too.

In fact I'm surprised the big manufacturers haven't announced plans to cease production and only focus on 4-stroke. Obviously there is still a big enough market for them in 2nd & 3rd world countries at this stage.

Like the old v8 cars and rods there are heaps in the country but total mileage not a lot. If the seagulls were all still in use , considering the10 to 1 mix there would be abit of haze over the harbours. Mind by posts above the seagull pollution is on the seafloor not the air above.

Australia has moved away from two stroke carbureted small engines to comply with EPA emission standards in favour of direct injection and four strokes.

Are there plans afoot here to follow their move.

They keep deferring the cutoff date for sale of non complying 2 stroke motors up to 19kW/25hp, now 1 July 2020

https://www.shipmate.com.au/news/govt-defers-two-stroke-ban-for-12-months/

this also applies to all land use 2 strokes, ie gardening equipment generators etc.

As Australia and NZ are generally treated as one market by most distributors the supply of small 2 strokes from at least the name brands will probably dry up here as well.

It was interesting observing in the islands, apart from the 2 stroke Yamaha Enduros which have always been the default choice, there were alot of new Mercury 2 strokes around. Seems there is a big push into that market. Not sure if they are genuine Mercuries or more likely rebadged Tohatsus?  

I believe there are plenty of 2 stroke motors still sold in Asia and Carribbean.